Hose Vacuum Breaker spraying

Old 03-07-17, 05:32 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hose Vacuum Breaker spraying

I just installed a new line and hose bib. I got a new vacuum breaker and screwed it on. When I turn the water on it sprays (not leaks) out of the drain holes, with or without a hose hooked to it. Could it be not working right or something else? I haven't screwed in the locking screw yet.

The new line comes off my main line, and a pro plumber installed a double check valve assembly in between.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-17, 05:41 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I'd get a different brand. Could be a bad lot and if you just swap out for the same brand you may have the same problrm

Old 03-08-17, 03:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Did the plumber flush line before you connected the vacuum breaker. Dirt may have gotten under the seal.

Old 03-08-17, 04:29 AM
B
yes the new line was flushed out. It sprayed immediately the first time I turned on the water. I'll try putting on a new one.

Old 03-08-17, 01:43 PM
B
another concern

I ran this new line to the rear of my house because we had a pool put in last summer and my nearest hose connection was on the opposite corner of the house.

Downstream of the new hose bib I have 2 irrigation control valves and some spray heads for watering the plants and shrubs around the pool deck screen enclosure. Now I read somewhere that you shouldn't drink from (wasn't planning on it) or fill a pool with a hose on the same system as irrigation. Is this true?

It makes sense, I just wanted to get some clarification before I use it to top off the pool.

I was also going to use it for cleaning the pool deck. I'm assuming that would fall into the same category?

Thanks again!!

Old 03-09-17, 06:42 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 114 Votes on 105 Posts
Irrigation systems are required to have a backflow preventer, since you don't want whatever water is sitting in the irrigation pipes (along with who knows what fertilizer or whatever may have gotten into those same pipes) into your house/potable water.

On the 'dirty' side of the backflow preventer, I probably wouldn't suggest drinking from that hose either. In theory, I wouldn't drink from any hose as the water can be sitting in it for months, garden hoses aren't made for drinking water (and can have chemicals of their own)... but think about how many people over time have drank from garden hoses. I'm sure there's a risk, but it's rather small.

I guess the best way to top off a pool would be to use a white RV hose (approved for potable water), connected to a house faucet. But again, how many people go to that extreme!?

Sometimes, you just have to live life!

Old 03-09-17, 02:56 PM
B
i have a backflow preventer between the house and the irrigation, just not between the hose and the irrigation.

I guess the hose is useless for anything pool related unless I put another BFP in which seems a little too much.