What fitting?

Old 03-16-17, 08:53 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
What fitting?

I am trying to use this valve to attach a reverse osmosis system.

What fitting do I need to get this to 1/4 or 3/8 OD tubing?

I tried "John Guest female adapter NPTF polypro - 3/8 x 1/4 NPTF" but it was just slightly too small. (PP451222W at link below) It wouldn't thread on.

FEMALE ADAPTOR - NPTF THREAD | John Guest

Thanks

Attached Images  
Old 03-17-17, 12:28 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It looks like the valve is a standard 3/8" compression outlet.
If you will not be branching off the valve all you need is a delrin sleeve and insert plus a 3/8" compression nut. The valve is ready to accept a plastic 3/8" tube.
Slide the nut onto the 3/8 tube, followed by the delrin sleeve with thin side towards valve and then the insert.
Tighten the nut until sleeve grabs tube and tighten an additional full turn. Do not overtighten.

Sioux Chief 3/8 in. Plastic Delrin Compression Sleeve with Brass Insert-907-051002 - The Home Depot

Old 03-18-17, 12:56 PM
M
Slide the nut onto the 3/8 tube, followed by the delrin sleeve with thin side towards valve and then the insert.
Tighten the nut until sleeve grabs tube and tighten an additional full turn. Do not overtighten.
Thanks for the reply. What if I want to use a 1/4 OD tube? Just use the 3/8 set up you described then put a 3/8 to 1/4 reducing union in line?

Thanks again

Old 03-18-17, 01:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Yes.

I've stopped by here several times. That is a strange looking valve. I don't recall seeing a long solder on sleeve like that before. You may have a problem finding a compression nut to attach to that valve as they aren't always universal or interchangeable.

You'll probably need to purchase several 3/8" compression nuts to find one where the threads match. Then you'd need a short piece of 3/8" line and a compression ring to exit the valve in 3/8 and then convert it to 1/4"

Name:  nut1.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  10.4 KB

Old 03-18-17, 02:25 PM
Just use the 3/8 set up you described then put a 3/8 to 1/4 reducing union in line?
Yes. Cut the 3/8" line to about 2" or any length.
Push on a 3/8 to 1/4 reducer, followed by a short piece of 1/4" tube and then a push on 1/4" inline valve. That's how I would do it.
The reason your JG fitting didn't work is because it has 1/4" NPTF threads, which are pipe, not compression.

It would be easy to find a screw on adapter or plastic valve, but they are pretty much all designed for dual outlet use and you only want one 1/4" line.

Old 03-21-17, 09:22 AM
M
Yes. Cut the 3/8" line to about 2" or any length.
Push on a 3/8 to 1/4 reducer, followed by a short piece of 1/4" tube and then a push on 1/4" inline valve. That's how I would do it.
The reason your JG fitting didn't work is because it has 1/4" NPTF threads, which are pipe, not compression.

It would be easy to find a screw on adapter or plastic valve, but they are pretty much all designed for dual outlet use and you only want one 1/4" line.
Thanks for your reply. I'm getting ready to get the stuff I need. You mentioned the sleeve:
Sioux Chief 3/8 in. Plastic Delrin Compression Sleeve with Brass Insert-907-051002 - The Home Depot

But don't I also need the nut? This part:
Sioux Chief 3/8 in. Brass Compression Nut with Insert-909-071001 - The Home Depot

or would it be one of these?
Sioux Chief 3/8 in. Brass Compression Nut-907-081003 - The Home Depot

A little confused over the nut. With a compression fitting there are three parts, right? The sleeve, the nut, and the insert? The nuts look slightly different in those last two parts.

Also you mentioned you would put an 1/4 inline valve on. Just curious, why? You have the brass valve, why use another one?

Thanks for your help, it's really appreciated!

Old 03-21-17, 06:01 PM
Use the 2nd nut you posted.
Sioux Chief 3/8 in. Brass Compression Nut-907-081003 - The Home Depot

The first nut you posted has a built in sleeve. I might be picky, but I don't like to use them. I want a regular compression nut and separate sleeve.

It's always a good idea IMO to have a plastic valve on an RO system at the inlet.
For servicing all you need to do is shut off the water supply valve and the tank valve.
It's not required but the professional installers have at least 2 valves (supply and tank) and they tag them to make things easier for those not familiar.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: