re-packing faucets

Old 03-27-17, 04:43 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
re-packing faucets

The hosebibs serving my washing machine are leaking around the stems. I have managed to stop the leaks by turning the knobs ultra-tight. A series of sliding-door compartments, one of which encloses the washer hosebibs, has been built against the wall.

I would have to remove the compartments to get access to replace the hosebibs, but I would rather not.

How big a job is it to repack the valve stems? I think I could do this if all I have to do is loosen & remove the top faucet caps around the stems. Please advise.

Thank you.

Old 03-27-17, 04:53 PM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Very easy to do. Shut off the water and relieve the pressure inside the pipes by opening another faucet. Remove the valve handle, but first open the valve about half way. Remove the gland nut (the stem nut), and clean out whatever remaining packing might be left. Go to any home center and by either TFE or Graphite packing. Twist about two to three turns of packing around the stem and (maybe more depending on size of gland cavity) tighten the gland nut just so it's snug. Now assemble the valve and turn on water. Begin to tighten the gland nut about a quarter turn until leaking stops. As you tighten the gland nut the valve will be harder to open and close. You must find the right amount of tightening to prevent leaking but is still easy to turn on and off faucet.

Oh, by the way, replace the flat washer while you're at it. Preferably with a bevel style.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: