Water foaming after CPVC pipe installation - normal?

Old 04-16-17, 12:27 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water foaming after CPVC pipe installation - normal?

I did a repair on a CPVC bathroom setup and I am experiencing some foaming of the water as it comes out now. This is a system that is 4 years old and had no foaming before the repair. Is this an air leak or something that happens with newly glued CPVC. Note the foaming only lasts for a few seconds. Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-17, 12:56 PM
Received 230 Votes on 205 Posts
An airator like what's on a kitchen sink? Off hand it seems like an air introduction into the system. But then you would see a leak if it was on the pressure side of the piping. What exactly did you repair. Maybe a photo of the repair would help.

Old 04-16-17, 01:10 PM
G
more detail

I moved the cold and hot water supply lines to a double vanity from coming out of the floor to coming out of the wall. This is an older mobile home, so carving out the space to do the move was fairly easy. For each side, I cut the 1/2" CPVC pipe below floor level and then, using about four 90 degree couplers and three feet of pipe, now have them coming out of the wall with a shut off valve. There is only one set of supply pipes, so I am using valves with two outlets to feed both faucets.

Old 04-16-17, 02:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
The way it was explained to me by someone who, I think, knows is the extrusion process is so precise that the pipe and its forms must be lubricated and that lubrication remains inside the pipe. It is innocuous and poses no health concern, but it will foam for a short period until it is washed out.

Old 04-16-17, 03:49 PM
G
Thanks

Wow, I feel so much better reading that explanation. I tried searching on "foaming after CPVC repair" and got nothing useful. I appreciate your taking the time to help me with this. So, all I have to do is wait! I can do that.

Old 04-17-17, 09:42 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 112 Votes on 104 Posts
I saw something similar in a bathroom repiped with PEX. I'm not sure if it's from the pipe or the faucet, but I'm sure there's something a bit 'left over' from the manufacturing like Larry stated.

It'll go away over time.

Old 04-17-17, 10:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 312 Votes on 278 Posts
I agree it should clear up with time. My house is mostly plumbed with CPVC, some relatively new, some has been there a long time. Biggest thing I've noticed with my was when I added a half bath, the pedestal sink water seemed to have a bit of an odor ..... and that passed with time. Probably would have been quicker if that bath rm saw more use