First 'real' plumbing attempt-- wish me luck :)

Old 04-21-17, 11:59 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
First 'real' plumbing attempt-- wish me luck :)

So, I was just informed the 'whole house' pipe coverage I pay for with the water company doesnt cover leaking hose bibs. I definitely want to replace the whole thing vs try to fix the o rings

Previously, I had a plumber isolate the supplies for the two hose bibs with a shutoff valve and a drain.

I am thinking this is as good a time as any for me to try my hand at piping something.

I was originally thinking I would cut the pipe near the shutoff (where the hand points to a coupling) and attach a shark-bite fitting to the copper and clamp the Pex pipe there and run it all the way to the new hose bib pipe, where it comes through the wall.

Now that I am typing this, I am thinking "why replace that whole copper pipe? Why not just cut the pipe near the bib and run pex for 1-3 feet instead of the 20 feet from the valve?"

Any reason why reusing the old pipe is a bad idea?

Old 04-21-17, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Yes cut the pipe at those two couplings. IMO so you dont have to solder get a copper to pex 1/2" valve, and get a pex hose bib. Then just a short piece of pex.

Old 04-21-17, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator
Old 04-21-17, 12:25 PM
S
thanks for the reply!

Basically, I've never soldered pipe before. I figured I'd try pex this go round.

One thing I did learn from watching the shark bite video is that I need a shark bite deburring tool

I bought 20' of pex. May want to return that. Or does it store well in an attic? I dont mind keeping pex around, but thats the only space I have for it.

To be clear: you recommend cutting the pipe BETWEEN the two couplings or taking them out completely?

Thanks again!

Old 04-21-17, 12:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
I would guess you are going to use a frost proof sillcock. I would just cut it back to where the sillcock fits. May not even need pex

Old 04-21-17, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator
Cut both couplings out..

And what type of hose bib do you have?

You may need to drill a bigger hole for the push type..

Umm not being able to solder opens up a can of worms..

I usually solder a piece of copper onto the new hose bib long enough to reach where I cut the copper. Then solder a new coupling to connect the two..

Old 04-21-17, 01:09 PM
S
previous plumber I used convinced me they are not worth the headache.

For a female sillcock, 12" iron pipe and a FIP to Pex fitting. I have a drain back near the shutoff

Old 04-21-17, 02:38 PM
Upvotes: 0
Follow Lawrosa's advice first. But if you don't want to solder, sharkbite makes a Slip Repair Coupling that can fix a gap up to 2".

The slip coupling has one end that inserts normally, about 7/8", the other end will slide by using a release tool.

Old 04-23-17, 06:13 PM
S
How'd I do?

I used shark bite connector with female threads to attach to copper

I then threaded a male fitting to pex nipple to that shark bite fitting

I used a black iron pipe through the wall with a threaded fitting (to pex nipple) on the other side and clamped 1/2" pex to connect it

The only issue I have to revisit is the spigot itself uses two screws to hold it in place. I had a tough time getting screws to sink. It's "ok, for now", but I am thinking about making a plate out of PT plywood and screwing that into the house and then screwing spigot support screws into that

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: