Installing New Shower Including Rough In For Control Valve

Old 04-23-17, 08:12 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing New Shower Including Rough In For Control Valve

I am planning on installing a new shower in our cabin bathroom. It is a very cheap kind of shower, but it will do for a cabin. It is a Durastall Model 68 shower and looks like it is a Phoenix Faucets control valve. I have listed the links below. The installation video for installing the shower just says "install shower control valve and shower head" and does not elaborate.

Even if I do my 4" center rough in copper lines inside the wall and drill my holes for the shower control valve shown in the 3rd link below, how do I connect the threaded fittings on the back of the control valve to the roughed in plumbing inside the wall? Without an access panel on the inside of the shower or on the outside of the bathroom wall, I just for the life of me cannot visualize how to connect the control valve to the roughed in plumbing. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

https://www.mustee.com/product-lines...stalls/68.html

White Two Handle Shower Valve for Mustee Model 68.600PX

http://phoenixfaucets.com/resources/...e%2068.600.pdf

Old 04-24-17, 02:40 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You will install the control valve and shower stand pipe, fastening them to the framing members, even if you have to use cross bracing. You want this part to be rock solid. Cut out the sheetrock in the area where you will be installing these components so you will have room to work. I would use PEX supply lines. I note that the control valve is made of plastic and they warn not to use pipe dope, so don't plan on a long life for the valve. Inexpensive (cheap) is an overstatement.

Once you have the connections made and the valve and shower ear connected to framing, you can cut the holes in the side wall and slide the shower wall on the valve and ear.

Old 04-25-17, 09:49 PM
G
Yes, but how would I connect the female pipe thread plastic fittings on the back of the control valve to the roughed in piping behind the wall?

Old 04-26-17, 03:14 AM
With mating male fittings. I don't follow the question.

Old 04-29-17, 05:03 PM
G
The roughed in piping in the wall will be 1/2" female pipe thread. The fittings on the back of the control valve will be the same 1/2" female pipe thread. Without being able to reach my hand over the shower wall or from the back through an access panel, how would I make those connections with the male to male fittings?

Old 04-29-17, 07:01 PM
Change the fittings to match the installation. Install the control valve first and fasten it to framing and/or cross members so it is solid. What type pipe is your rough? cpvc, copper, PEX? THEN install your shower wall with the hole precisely cut for the control valve.

Old 05-02-17, 09:32 PM
G
I'm going to use pex to Copper drop eared stub-out attached to stud or cross member and then I think I will solder 1/2" male copper fittings to the 3 ports for the bottom of the control valve and the shower head and then run pex or copper from the valve to the head. I have ordered 4 swivel 1/2" FPT to 1/2" FPT fittings to go from the copper to the control valve. This way when I have to replace the cheap faucet it will be right there on this side of the shower wall for easy access. What makes it tough is already having the shower head and faucet at my cabin several hundred miles away so I can't take a closer look at it other than what I can see on the internet, weird thing is I don't see any copper rough in parts for the valve like I see for most control valves on the web, maybe because this valve is designed for the rv and manufactured housing market, different design, not sure.

Old 05-03-17, 03:44 AM
I'm not selling anything, but it seems you are already planning on the control valve's obsolescence. That is not good. Why not go ahead and install a higher quality control valve, possibly a single lever and be done with it for at least 20 years. I have removed plenty of the type that you are planning on installing and always have to reconfigure the plumbing for the new valve, so make that part of your plans, too. If you solder male couplings to the copper, how will they screw into the control valve? If you are planning on using ANY PEX, which I recommend, do it from the copper stubs upward. You will have more control over what you are doing without a bunch of soldering.

Old 05-04-17, 07:04 AM
G
Yeah, I hear you on the control valve. I might want to take another look at that. I was going to connect the control valve's male fittings to the male fittings I am going to solder onto the copper stub outs with basically hydraulic swivel 1/2" female NPT on one end and straight female NPT on the other end. I can screw the non swivel end of the fitting onto the copper male fitting and then use the swivel end to connect to the back of the control valve and shower head.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: