Ceiling leak (lots of H20) below bathroom

Old 04-23-17, 11:05 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ceiling leak (lots of H20) below bathroom

Ive narrowed the source of the leak to occurring when water goes down the tub drain. If I leave water in the tub with the plug it is fine. When I remove the plug it seems like a lot of water comes through the ceiling. I have a cast iron claw foot tub and the pipes upstairs are still lead (I know, I know) We've had no issues with water leaking after flushing the toilet. However when the water comes through the ceiling after a bath the leaking comes through under the toilet area. Which has me wondering if it is just due to an uneven floor/ceiling and the water going to the lowest point or is the leak further along the pipe? I'm ready to open the ceiling but not sure where to cut and check for leak first due to knowing it happens when the water goes down the tub drain but seeing that the water actually comes through the ceiling by the toilet. So, where do I cut to look for the leak? Or am I missing a step or 2 that I should consider first.
I'm an avid DIYér but plumbing is not my strong point and I need some advice.

Old 04-23-17, 11:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

So as not to make too many large holes. Go to the ceiling under where the bathtub drain is and drill a hole. A 3/8" hole would be fine. See if any water comes out of the hole. It's much easier to patch a small hole like that.

More than likely the bathtub drain line runs across the floor and is leaking where it connects to the main stack which is probably near the toilet or a coupling has rotted thru.

Last edited by PJmax; 04-24-17 at 12:22 AM.
Old 04-24-17, 12:03 AM
S
Thanks, so I drilled a 3/8 hole exactly where the drain pipe is and nothing came from the hole when I unplugged the bathtub and let the water out. There is once again dripping from near the toilet area
however, I got up close to the ceiling and could hear dripping in the ceiling near the hole I drilled. I drilled another small hole about 10" from the first hole towards the toilet and still no water from either hole. But I can definitely hear water dripping in the ceiling where the holes are. Any idea's??

Old 04-24-17, 12:23 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Sound does travel thru the ceiling. How far is where it's appearing from there ?

Old 04-24-17, 01:35 AM
S
about 4 feet. Is there any reason if water was dripping where the holes were drilled that it wouldn't come through the holes?
I'm thinking I will cut out the ceiling where there is enough water damage that I will have to replace it and see if the actual leak is there or not. That area needs to be replaced regardless so it seems a logical place to start and since the water did not come through the holes I drilled I'm guessing the leak must be closer to the actual area where it leaks from the ceiling.
I've gotta catch a few zzzz's first and start on it in a few hours.
Any input is welcome.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: