Maintaining clean drains with Draino.

Old 04-25-17, 08:06 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Maintaining clean drains with Draino.

What do you all like to do/use to maintain clean drains aside from not putting things in the drain that can cause problems.

I am aware to be careful to limit what we put down any drains including sink drains and bathroom drains, but obviously it's a drain! so it's going to get small amounts of buildup over time, what do you like to put down the drain to maintain it periodically: Draino? Vinegar? Baking soda? Lye?

Old 04-26-17, 03:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Harsh chemicals are the last thing you want to put down a drain. Not sure if you are on a septic system or municipal sewer. Hot water will often help keep initial drain elements from having build up. If the sink clogs you can always put a pan under the drain and remove the ptrap to give you access to not only the drain above but to the main drain below.

Old 04-26-17, 03:48 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
I am totally against any commercial or chemical drain cleaners. They pollute the environment and have ruined the water table. The only proper way to unclog a drain is a mechanical means such as a snake.

Old 04-26-17, 03:51 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
When I bought my house the kitchen sink had a drain line that was undersized and long. The previous owner had used a LOT of Drano or similar to compensate for the slow drain. While I don't remember there being any leaks the PVC was distorted from too much Drano setting in the line. That was 26 yrs ago and I've never used any drain cleaner since I've moved here.

Old 04-26-17, 04:40 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I never use drain cleaner and I have never had a clogged drain. By far the best thing you can do is avoid allowing any grease or oils to go down the drain. Second most important is to not allow stuff to go down the drain that shouldn't such as Hot Weels cars, plastic army men, barbie heads, shoes, socks and feminine hygiene products...

Old 04-26-17, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
The only drain "cleaner" I would use is the type that uses enzymes to break down buildup caused by soap, body oils, etc. ZEP Drain Care is one. People that lived in some old historic houses in VA used it and said it did wonders after about a few weeks of use and then maintenance treatments. These were very old homes where replacement of the old plumbing would have been prohibitively expensive and any caustic type cleaners could have caused big problems.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: