pipe removal from concrete wall

Old 05-03-17, 10:39 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
pipe removal from concrete wall

I need to replace a leaky outdoor faucet with a freeze-less one. There is 3/4" galvanized pipe coming out of the 8" concrete wall. I was able to remove the faucet and cut the adjoining galvanized pipe on the inside, but removing the pipe is a problem. I think it is the original pipe from when the house was built 70 years ago. I've tried to chisel around it, on the inside and outside, and there is no caulk or foam around it. It appears the concrete was poured while the pipe was in place. It is tighter than tight. Any suggestions as to how to remove it?

Thank you.

Dave

Old 05-03-17, 10:47 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 602 Posts
Welcome to the forums Dave!

You should be able to alternate between twisting it with a pipe wrench or vise grips and hitting it with a hammer to remove it. Is the frost proof spigot the same diameter? will there be any issues installing it thru the wall?

Old 05-03-17, 11:01 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,572 Votes on 1,413 Posts
Your pipe nipple was likely mortared in place. You'll just have to chisel it out. I use a hammer drill with a 1/4" bit and drill a series of holes around the pipe then beat the pipe out with a hammer. Then I use a chisel or chisel bit in a rotary hammer to smooth out and enlarge the hole. Usually a frost proof sillcock is larger diameter than just a pipe so the hole needs to be enlarged.

Old 05-03-17, 01:05 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks, I'll try hammering and twisting. The new spigot is smaller so once I get the pipe out it should fit with room to spare. I will slant it slightly to the outside.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: