How do I fix this leaking tub handle?

Old 05-05-17, 03:10 PM
C
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
How do I fix this leaking tub handle?

I have this leaking tub handle. Do I have replace the whole thing or is there a loose screw that I just need to tighten?\Name:  leaking-handle.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  19.5 KB

Old 05-05-17, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Likely you have a bad o-ring or cartridge in the valve. You'll have to turn the water off, take the handle off (the trim as well I think), pull the guts out and replace them. Relatively cheap and easy.

The house water has to be off, if it won't shut off completely, you'll need to open a few faucets and let them drain off pressure during the repair.

A brand name would be helpful for a better job description.

Old 05-05-17, 04:03 PM
C
Thank you for the help! I'll check it out. Looks like I have to take the whole back plate off to see the o-ring, correct?

Old 05-05-17, 04:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Leave the escutcheon and pry off the plastic cover on the handle. Remove the handle and the slip cover (chrome sleeve) and the cartridge should be right there ready to be unscrewed and replaced.

Old 05-05-17, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator
Like I said, I'm not positive. I actually don't think you do, just the sleeve around the stem behind the handle. The problem will be inside the valve body, you won't be able to see it by just taking the cover off. The gut's have to come out. Some are quite simple (pull a little clip out, then remove the cartridge) others are a bit more involved. You may need a special puller ( a basic version comes with some replacement cartridges) but normally common hand tools do it.

You will be better off if you know the brand (I'm not a plumber, so I can't tell by looking). I think it may be a Moen, but again, not sure. Go get the parts and tool ahead of time. If you need to get several versions, you can return the ones that aren't used.

Do a search for replacing a Moen shower cartridge. You can tell right away if you have that type or not, just by removing the handle and sleeve.

Old 05-05-17, 07:52 PM
C
Thanks guys! Looks like this video shows what I needed to do.

https://youtu.be/zHMSCEtrzdM

Old 05-08-17, 02:43 PM
C
Any idea why I can't pull off the sleeve? Should I apply more force?
Name:  leaking-handle-cover.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  27.2 KB

Old 05-08-17, 04:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
It may take a little spraying of Break Free to loosen it from the crud.

Old 05-09-17, 05:16 AM
C
Thanks; however, it seems like my local hardware store do not carry it. I may have order online.

Old 05-09-17, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator
If you mean the Break Free, you can also use PB Blaster or similar. The only Break Free I know of is for weapons, not plumbing.

It's probably just minerals and crud holding it in. Vinegar in a spray bottle applied multiple times over a day or two might help also.

Old 05-14-17, 10:32 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
That's a Moen, and if you call them (1-800-buy-moen) they might send you a free cartridge. Note that the cartridge may require a special tool to remove. They can get quite stuck.

Old 05-15-17, 12:00 AM
Super Moderator
It's the sleeve, not the cart, that is stuck. I mentioned maybe needing a tool in the beginning, but he can't even pull the clip yet.

Old 05-15-17, 01:32 AM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Normally that sleeve will just pull off. But I can't tell what the white rectangle with the cut-off corners is, and I can't tell if that's a screw in the top right corner of it. It looks like there's a bead of caulk (or something) between to white rectangle and the sleeve. I don't recall seeing the rectangle on other Moens. Maybe a hair dryer would soften it enough to get the sleeve off, but I can't really tell from the image. Perhaps Moen could shed some light on it.

Old 05-15-17, 02:10 AM
Super Moderator
Looks like the mounting plate for the trim plate. Normally just attaches to the valve body, but may have been added for some reason? Possibly the valve body was installed wrong?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: