Hot and Cold Water Out of Same Pipe?

Old 05-08-17, 06:34 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hot and Cold Water Out of Same Pipe?

Hey Guys I have a question with plumbing that was done in my home. I am in the middle of finishing a reconstruction in a bathroom and am having an issue that I cant seem to figure out.

My issue is I seem to have both hot and cold coming out of each of the lines.

The bathroom has two separate rooms on the back side is the toilet and sink and the front side is the shower. I just finished the sink/toilet side and when I went to turn on and test the hot and cold water I realized I was having a mix of both of them. The cold was cold but a little warm and the hot was hot but a little cooler then it should be. Not a strong mix, but still a mix.

To test it, I turned off the hot water completely from the shot off valve before the bathroom and the cold got colder, I turned off the cold water completely and the hot got hotter.

I took a photo before the walls went up (they are up now) you are looking at the shower side, and the room with the toilet and sink is on the other

Name:  Plumbing.jpg
Views: 1109
Size:  29.2 KB

The hot and cold come in from over head and the cold goes down to the toilet, the sink and the diverter for the shower

The hot comes down from overhead and goes to the sink, and the shower diverter.

My only thought is so far is that the shower diverter is causing the hot and cold to mix and travel back through the pipes that are open on the other side.

The shower side is not done, and the diverter still has the factory plug in, not the actual insert and knob.

My question is, is this causing the cold and hot to mix and will it go away when the shower is hooked up correctly or do I have another issue.

Thanks in advance to any help here.

Old 05-08-17, 06:44 AM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I ran into a crossover once in a 3 floor rooming house. When the diverter was turned one way, hot water reached the toilet. When I say hot, I mean HOT. Check the toilet & look for another possible crossover somewhere else.

Old 05-08-17, 06:45 AM
M
Here's a (hopefully) clearer photo of the plumbing coming into the bathroom, again the toilet and sink are on the back side and the shower is on the front side.

Name:  HOT COLD.jpg
Views: 5587
Size:  26.5 KB

Old 05-08-17, 07:08 AM
D
I have seen problems like this before. This happens with single handle controls. The cartridge locks up for some reason and starts bleeding water between hot and cold. If you have shutoff stops on your shower valve shut those off and see if that stops your problem. You can feel the lines too around the diverter valve and feel for same temps. If you recently installed the tub cartridge I would pull it out and check the rubber seals on both sides. If you soldered the valve in without removing the cartridge you might have caused a leak due to overheating or, when inserting the cartridge back after soldering the seal could have jumped its normal location or torn from lack of lubrication when reinstalling. If all that is fine it's just a bad cartridge.

Old 05-08-17, 07:16 AM
M
Just to add, does anyone know if the diverter (the tub to shower exchange) allows water to mix when the sending unit is not installed?

I jus have the face mount plug installed so right now mine is just like this

Name:  Shower Diverter.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  35.5 KB

Is water free to mix behind? cause then that could be my problem, also when I install the diverter internals will this fix the issue?

I don't know what the correct word is, but these parts that are connected into the diverter:

Name:  Shower Diverter Finish.jpg
Views: 1129
Size:  35.5 KB

Old 05-08-17, 07:20 AM
M
Dakeeper, thank you I added some more info about the diverter, can you confirm if this is correct?

Old 05-08-17, 08:26 AM
D
With just that faceplate installed the water could mix. Install the diverter assembly and this should fix your problem.

Last edited by dakeeper; 05-08-17 at 08:30 AM. Reason: wasn't finished
Old 05-08-17, 09:02 AM
M
Dakeeper thank you for the help!

Last edited by MattGotSkills; 05-08-17 at 09:54 AM. Reason: removed answered follow up question

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: