Repair to old underground natural gas line

Old 06-01-17, 11:48 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Repair to old underground natural gas line

I have a BBQ grill that is connected to natural gas through an old plastic line. The line is about 3/4 inch outside diameter and black in color. The line was installed some 30 years ago. Recently while digging in my back yard I nicked the line with my shovel.

The run is about 100 feet from the source to my BBQ grill so I prefer not to replace the entire line.

Can someone tell me how to repair this line. What kind of fittings do I use? Any special preparation?

Any concerns that I reside in St Louis MO?

Thanks for all your help, it will be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-01-17, 03:37 PM
Welcome!
I'm not sure if this is a do it yourself question. I do minor gas repair work such as relocating appliances and would not know where to start in your situation. Also some locals do not allow homeowners to repair gas lines.
I would call a local pro, which is always a bad answer, but they could determine quickly if it's repairable and maybe save you from digging the full length.

Old 06-01-17, 03:47 PM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Are you sure that it's plastic? How deep is the nick? You might want to check the code for St Louis.

Old 06-01-17, 03:50 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,509 Votes on 1,396 Posts
I was trying to remember what black poly was in use for gas thirty years ago.
None came to mind.

3/4" OD would be 1/2" poly.

Old 06-01-17, 03:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 937 Votes on 855 Posts
Checking with the local utility or the city to determine if you need to be licence to repair is the first step.

If the pipe is in good shape and the knick is small you can probably use a con stab coupling, but need the chamfering tool. You might as well call either your gas company or any hvac company to do the repair.

Old 06-03-17, 08:59 AM
J
Repair to old outdoor Poly tubing used for natural gas

Thanks for everyone help. Did some research and look like it is Black Polyethylene tubing. I could not find any reference to it being used for outdoor natural gas lines. Maybe 30 years ago it was approved for outdoor natural gas but most likely not now. Could only find referenced to it being used for outdoor water irrigation.

It has been in place and had no problem for the 30 years and would like to just repair the one place where it is nicked. I don't thing that the gas company would repair the line but only want to replace the entire 100 feet on line with whatever is up to the current code.

Does anyone have experience with they type of Poly tubing used for outdoor Natural Gas. What type of fitting should I use? Any special preparation?

Thanks again for all your help.

Old 06-03-17, 09:07 AM
D
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I have only used Poly for sprinkler systems. It's probably not the same. Ask in a plumbing supply what to use.

Old 06-03-17, 09:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 937 Votes on 855 Posts
Like I said, google con stab coupling. The special prep is the chamfering tool.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: