Orientation of Studor Vent?

Old 06-01-17, 10:21 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Orientation of Studor Vent?

Quick question: Can a studor vent be installed horizontally, and still function correctly?

Background: In my bathroom, my plumber put a 2" autovent in a plastic box with nice-looking louvered grill in the wall beside the bathroom mirror. I would be tempted to extend the ABS pipe upward a few more inches, slap a 90 elbow on it, and run horizontal 2" ABS a foot or two across the ceiling (drop ceiling), then terminate there with the autovent (lying horizontally) in the louvered box. No one gives a second thought to a louvered grill on a bathroom *ceiling* -- it would just look like a fan -- whereas placement in the wall looks pretty silly.

Old 06-01-17, 10:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 792 Votes on 729 Posts
"Install valves in upright position, within 15 degrees of true vertical."

Old 06-02-17, 06:05 AM
It's a simple answer but I wouldn't second guess the plumber.
If I use an AAV I am only concerned the mark on the AAV is at least 6" above the trap arm.

Name:  aav.JPG
Views: 11251
Size:  47.7 KB

Old 06-02-17, 08:26 AM
G
Thank you for your replies!

EDIT: I was intrigued by the responses, as one implies that these vents work by gravity, while the other appears to use a spring. So I looked further. Apparently there are two types of auto-vents, and spring-loaded may not be proper use inside a residential home?

I'll trust that the plumber did it right, and I received the answer I needed (thanks again!) but thought this was an interesting tidbit.

Last edited by getwilde; 06-02-17 at 08:44 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: