Underground natural gas piping to firepit

Old 06-08-17, 10:58 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Underground natural gas piping to firepit

I am planning to install a new gas line from the outside gas meter to my future fire pit in the backyard and "T" in to my existing wood burning fire place inside my house. (SEE PICTURE). My Meter is a AC-250 CFH @ 1/2" DIFF and looks like 1" Iron pipe. (I am waiting for my gas co to tell me how much pressure we have and if it could accommodate my new fire pit).

First: my fire pit. Usually about 100 000 BTU. 65' total run from meter to valve. Second: I am planning to put a T fitting to the line to my existing wood burning fireplace about 40-60K BTU (will convert to direct vent fireplace).

So From the meter: 15ft of PE yellow tubing then a "T" 7' to my fireplace thru bricks. then the rest of the run will be 50' to get to the outdoor fire pit.

1- I am confused about the size of the pipe. Should I use 1" up to the T then 3/4 " for both runs? According to Gas charts 3/4" IPS gives me 129BTU for 80' run. What size of tubing should I use.? Is gas like air and water? The run should decrease in size to get enough pressure at the end?

2- I need to risers, 1 at the meter and one at the fire pit. What should I use to transit from underground thru inside fireplace?

3- The run will be passing near landscape and young evergreens. Should I sleeve my PE tubing with 3" schedule 40 PVC pipe to protect it? If so, do I need to vent both ends?

I have been in contact with multiple plumbers and no one has the same plan. all different sizes etc. Please help me.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-17, 03:09 PM
P
I would use 1" for the majority of the run then reduce it down to whatever the appliance calls for, that should satisfy your gas pressure bed. I usually only use sleeves unless I am running under concrete. Hope it helps.

Old 06-08-17, 05:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,187 Votes on 1,098 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Not the pro here but I would use 1" to the tee. 1/2" to the fireplace and 3/4" to the pit.

Old 06-08-17, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
With gas calculations using farthest fixture, one in that cloumn you must stay in that column..

70 ft of 1" supports 237k btu. ( You have about 170K btu)
staying in that column of 70 ft 3/4 supports 126K btu
1/2 " 60k but its borderline as you dont seem sure of exact BTU's.

Plus you get into the whole how many ft minimum can you buy of PE?

Best to but one roll and use it all to the pit because you defiantly need to run 1". I doubt you can buy 10 ft of 1" PE...

Let us know..

Also you need to bury 18" or 12" whatever your code dictates and use tracer wire. You will need a permit and a trench and pressure test/inspection on the pipe from your local code official...

Old 06-09-17, 05:55 AM
D
Thank you all. Yes "Lawrosa" I like the 1", my question is , is it ok to run a bigger pipe than I need? Would that affect the pressure? Or it does not matter because the hook up at the firepit will be what it is needed ie: 3/4"or whatever. As long as it is smaller or = to the run size

Old 06-09-17, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 60 Votes on 52 Posts
Thank you all. Yes "Lawrosa" I like the 1", my question is , is it ok to run a bigger pipe than I need? Would that affect the pressure? Or it does not matter because the hook up at the firepit will be what it is needed ie: 3/4"or whatever. As long as it is smaller or = to the run size
Gas is based on volume not pressure from what I know.. You need to get the correct volume of gas to the fixtures.

Gas pressures are less then 1 psi in most cases..

Lest you can buy AFAIK is 100 ft..

HOME-FLEX Underground 1 in. x 100 ft. Yellow Polyethylene Gas Pipe-19-111100 - The Home Depot

I would run all 1". To pit and fireplace.

Remeber its IPS size pipe SDR 11 so match the two risers of same size.

I like the stab fittings, and never used these but I see they have them.

HOME-FLEX 1 in. x 1 in. x 1 in. Underground Yellow Poly Gas Pipe Tee-18-401-010 - The Home Depot

But all in all e bay may be best choice, but you need to shop around.. I can tell you it will not be cheap.. Maybey $800 bucks when all is said and done...

Youll need pipe, 3 risers, tee.. Then someone with a machine to cut and thread to tie in meter and get into the home for fire place.

For fireplace youll need to get into house and hard pipe to fireplace, or use bulkhead fitting to transition to CSST...

1 inch CTS PE 2406 UNDERGROUND GAS PIPE x 100 Ft | eBay

1 PUSH ON GAS RISER MPT X CTS WITH PE COUPLING 1 INCH PERMASERT

PERMASERT TEE FOR UNDERGROUND GAS PIPE CTS PE 1 inch