Vibrating outdoor pipe

Old 07-06-17, 02:28 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Vibrating outdoor pipe

Hi All,

We moved into this new place where the hose bib was located under the 4 foot high balcony and behind the AC unit. This made it a pain to always have to duck underneath to plug in the hose or fill up a watering can.

I thought I'd correct the issue by installing some PVC pipe that would run about 10 feet under the balcony and have a hose bib placed in a convenient location. I kept the original hose bib that sticks out of the house and attached PVC pipe to it. The problem I run into now is that whenever I close the new hose bib the pvc pipe starts to vibrate and shake unless I turn off the first hose bib. The other thing I had noticed is that previously when we would shut off the hose that was connected to the original hose bib connected to the wall it would release water through the connection between the hose and the hose bib. My guess is that water hammer is causing this issue but I'd like to confirm and I'm not sure how to address it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
BK

Old 07-06-17, 07:11 PM
S
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If the PVC pipe is suspended in mid air, it's not a surprise that it vibrates.

Old 07-06-17, 07:36 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
whenever I close the new hose bib the pvc pipe starts to vibrate and shake
As ShortyLong said, if the PVC pipe isn't supported, it can definitely shake with the movement of the water through it. If it is secure, the second thing I'd check is confirm the first valve is all the way open. Sometimes worn down washers tend to cause vibrations as the water passes them.

previously when we would shut off the hose that was connected to the original hose bib connected to the wall it would release water through the connection between the hose and the hose bib
This is normal functioning for a backflow protector valve (that's built into the faucet connection). The idea is that it prevents water from the hose or outside from backflowing back into the house. If there's a pressure difference (like when you turn off the faucet), the backflow preventer 'vents' the extra pressure, resulting in some water spewing out.

Totally normal. Since you're usually leaving the first faucet on, you won't see that happen - but it's still doing its job.

Old 07-08-17, 11:55 AM
B
Thank you for your replies. The PVC pipe is secured to the balcony with metal strapping.

Do I need to remove the backflow preventor?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: