Missing water shut off for dishwasher?

Old 07-24-17, 05:54 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Missing water shut off for dishwasher?

Hello -

I'm really confused and need some help. I'm a first time home owner and I want to replace my dishwasher. I cannot find the hot water shut off for the dishwasher.

Under the sink there is hot water shut off, but it is after where the water pipe from the dishwasher splits from the main line coming up from the basement. The water line to the dishwasher is PVC and connects to a stainless steel supply line that goes into the next cabinet. There is no shut off between the PVC line and the stainless steel supply line.

In the basement there is a hot water shut off under the kitchen, but it is after where the line goes up to the kitchen. I'm guessing that shut off is for my washing machine, where the pipes go to after the kitchen. There are no hot water shut offs between the hot water tank and where the water goes up to the kitchen.

Am I missing something? Could there be a shut off behind the dishwasher on the stainless steel supply line? I'm assuming that the stainless steel supply line connects directly to the dishwasher.

Any help would be appreciated as I know nothing about plumbing, but want to try to do this myself! Thanks!

Lindsay

Attachment 83407
Attachment 83408
Attachment 83409
Attachment 83410

Attached Images     
Old 07-24-17, 07:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Name:  dwp.jpg
Views: 5185
Size:  35.8 KB

I'd say you are correct and there is no shutoff.
The red valve is hot water shutoff for sink.
The blue valve is cold water shutoff for the sink.

If there were a shut off it should be between the white plastic and the stainless steel flex line. I doubt it's under the dishwasher but you can remove the toe kick plate and look inside with a flashlight.

Now... you'd need to shut the cold water supply off to the water heater.
You could possibly install a valve in there. Maybe you could post a picture of the white pipe/flex line connection.

Actually... taking a second look.... you could install a sharkbite valve in that white line. You'd still need to turn the cold off to the w.h. first.

Old 07-25-17, 05:35 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
As Pete says use a Sharkbite valve. It will take less than 5 minutes to install.
Can;t fathom why a dishwasher would not have valve installed.

Old 07-25-17, 05:38 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi Pete, Thanks for your help! I already bought a sharkbite valve thinking I could add it, as I should be able to easily cut the PVC pipe, but I didn't know that shutting off the cold water at the hot water tank would turn off the hot water to the house. I appreciate your help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: