Midway valves

Old 07-24-17, 07:15 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Midway valves

Hi, in my older home, copper plumbing, I have what i see referred to as midway stop valves. there are stops under all the sinks, etc, but then there are these 3 sets of gate valves midway down the line to the main or WH, that need to be replaced. So simple questiion, if i close the water line into the WH, turn the gas WH down to the pilot light only, then that means I have more or less eliminated water pressure coming off the WH, so I should be able to open the lines at the faucets to drain the lines, and then replace the valves. My most concern is of course the hot water valves, but both hot/cold valve stops will be replaced, Anyway, Do I have all that correct, and that is basically how it can be done? I've done more n enough soddered copper & copper-brass connections, but never on my, in service plumbing system. Thanks for any help.

Old 07-24-17, 07:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Definitely put the water heater in pilot mode.

It sounds like you have valves to change on the hot and cold sides of the system. It might be easier to shut the main valve off and do them all at one time.

Old 07-25-17, 05:40 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
I agree with Pete. The fact that you have both isolation valves (under each appliance) and mid-way valves shows that the plumber did a good job. You are able to close off section without shutting off water to whole house.

Old 07-25-17, 09:38 AM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
You may need to open the pressure relief valve on the hot water tank. Even with the incoming cold water turned off the heat from the tank itself can create enough pressure to keep moving water in your pipes. Opening the PRV will eliminate that.

Old 07-25-17, 09:47 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
Or just open any hot water valve, usually the farthest away from the tank. Of course this will drain most of the water out of the pipes and you will have lots of air to purge. I don't like to use the PRV on tanks. Most are made of plastic and once opened they may not properly seat again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: