Info on water pressure valve

Old 09-23-17, 04:34 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Info on water pressure valve

Hi, I'm trying to gauge the difficulty of this repair. The small pipe that connects to the water pressure valve has corroded from our acidic water and needs replacing. It seems like this large brass fitting beneath just comes off with pliers, is that so? Does this fitting have a particular name I can use to look it up? Also, since this was put in some time ago, would you rebuild it the same or put it together a little differently? Thanks for any thoughts.

Attached Images    
Old 09-23-17, 05:29 PM
S
Looks like a 1/4" 100lb pressure guage. It's pretty easy just make sure to drain the pressure tank after the water is off. Usually a small crescent or 9/16" wrench takes it off pretty easy. On the new one I use a couple wraps of teflon tape and a little pipe thread sealant. Careful not to over tighten.

Old 09-23-17, 05:44 PM
B
Thank you for your reply, SD plumber! If in a worst-case scenario the 1/4 pipe from the brass fitting below this pressure valve crumbles or breaks when I remove the pressure valve (this has happened in this house ... it might be the source of the block here because it's corroded so much), and I have to replace the whole setup -- large brass fitting, 1/4 pipe, brass t-fitting, valve -- would you say these are these all parts you can find in a big box store or small hardware store? That large brass compression fitting in particular at the bottom, is that a specialized piece?

Last edited by blakekr; 09-23-17 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-23-17, 06:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
I think SPD misunderstood the question.

All the parts are easily obtainable. Places like lowes and depot carry them.

Attached Images   
Old 09-24-17, 04:43 PM
B
Pete ... I had NO idea what I was looking at here. Thank you so much, for taking the time to identify the elements out of this photo! I thought I would have to maybe cut off the bottom compression valve and sweat a new small pipe onto a replacement but I see that this may end up being much more straightforward after all.

THANK YOU!

Old 09-24-17, 08:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
The only problem you may have is getting the 2" nipple out of what looks like a check valve. I would replace the gauge too.

Old 10-23-17, 11:10 AM
B
another question, it seems - the well water pressure tank attached is a small flex 2 pro. To depressurize and repressurize this tank, is it necessary only to drain it, or does it need air pressure manually added to the top (minus 2 psi is what I'm reading) before turning the system back on?

Attached Images  
Old 10-23-17, 11:22 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
When working on the water plumbing you only need to turn off the circuit breaker for the well pump. Then open a faucet until the water stops flowing. There is a rubber bladder inside the tank that will retain the pressurized air inside. So, if you're not changing or adjusting the pressure switch you shouldn't have to do anything with the pressure tank.

Old 10-23-17, 11:25 AM
B
oh, great, that's excellent news. Thank you so much, Pilot Dane!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: