How to fix leaking faucet?

Old 10-04-17, 07:18 PM
C
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
How to fix leaking faucet?

Is there a way to fix a leaking sink faucet that leaks from the spout back to the copper? I just purchased the Moen T4570P and it was leaking from the faucet back along the copper stem.

Another question I have is. What is the difference between Moen 4570 and Moen T4570P? My original 4570 has the copper stem connected to the faucet and it does not seem to be removable. The I purchased a replacement that the seller said it was T4570P and the copper stem and the faucet came separately. However, I just purchased another Moen T4570P (at least that's what the seller claimed to be) and the copper stem is attached to the faucet. In addition, the hub & and elbow contains a plastic "large chassis" part # 100567. The Moen T4570P I purchased earlier do not have this plastic large chassis in it. The assembly is also different. So, if anyone who is familiar with Moen's bathroom sink faucet, please chime in. I still have one more sink faucet to replace.

Thank you.

Old 10-05-17, 04:59 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
Where exactly is the leak located? Is it at the end of the spout where the aerator screws on or is it leaking from somewhere inside the faucet body?

Old 10-05-17, 06:11 AM
C
Received 5 Upvotes on 5 Posts
It is somewhere inside the faucet body.

Old 10-05-17, 11:57 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
If it is new I would return it.

Old 10-05-17, 04:14 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Charlie,
I remember going over this quite a while ago. Your faucets are professional grade. That means a valve body is installed first, and the valve body will accept different types of trim. Trim in this case means the hot and cold handles and the spout. They could be brass, Stainless, Chrome, whatever.

You have an old rough in under the sink. The newer Moen widespread faucets are connected underneath with push in hoses. You are almost looking for vintage parts. You might want to call Moen directly and see if they still offer the parts. Moen is pretty helpful on technical stuff and your faucet was very popular.

To answer the question about leaking. If the spout is leaking down into the cabinet, only when water is running through it, that is usually the aerator.
The spout is hollow with a tube running through it. If the aerator isn't installed just right, water can back up and flow back through the hollow parts of the spout.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: