Roof drain clogging from debris

Old 10-15-17, 09:05 AM
M
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Roof drain clogging from debris

I am not sure if this should maybe go under roofing.

I have a large roof deck and drain to handle the water from the deck and real roof. It is a 3" PVC pipe. I try to keep the drain clean of debris as I get water in a bedroom when even a small handful of leaves clogs it.

I have removed the cast iron dome and replaced it with chicken wire which helps. But I still have the issue.

I am posting pictures of the drain and old cover. The notches on the drain clog very easy. Like 8 small leaves will do it.

The roof was recoated (rubber roof) a couple years ago. Obviously, it isn't meant to hold 12" of standing water like I had last night.

I am thinking I could make some kind of pre-filter out of something with holes in it and larger than the drain. I am looking for any ideas.

Attached Images   
Old 10-15-17, 10:09 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
That sounds like a great option, make a ring out of wire fencing material 2' dia around the drain, that catches the big stuff before it hits the guard!

Old 10-15-17, 10:36 AM
M
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Marq1
That sounds like a great option, make a ring out of wire fencing material 2' dia around the drain, that catches the big stuff before it hits the guard!
The main issues with a pre-filter is getting something that will conform to the pitch of the roof and how to keep it from moving with the water.

I was considering if something foam with a frame might work.

Old 10-15-17, 10:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
A large rectangular box made of hardware cloth could be made to set over the top of your dome grate... if it's the same height you could loop a wire through the dome grate to hold it in place. Hard to say how big you could make it with that closeup, but bigger is better.

Cut a large square from a roll of hardware cloth... cut notches in the 4 corners, bend the 4 flaps down to form the sides. Easy peasy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: