Kitchen sink and washing machine both clog at the same time.

Old 10-15-17, 10:37 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Kitchen sink and washing machine both clog at the same time.

This happens maybe 2-3 times a year. But when it does it is a ***** to clear it. Essentially both of these drain into a common pipe and join together before that pipe in a hard to reach crawl space. This is where, I believe, the problem is. There is no way to snake this easily and certainly not with a "home" snake. So what I do is plug the washing machine pipe and then use 2 plungers at the same time in the kitchen (dual) sink. It takes at least 1/2 hour to break it loose. Here is a picture of the point where they join up. The washing machine is the straight one. The sink comes in from the left in the picture.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CXSnKzLcqShHN1QH3
Name:  drain 1.jpg
Views: 1038
Size:  48.1 KB

The drain continues on to the main drain here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cUQmdmmtEeLXFS572
Name:  drain 2.jpg
Views: 1608
Size:  72.7 KB

As you can see, getting to the point of blockage is difficult at best. Here are my questions:

Would it work to remove the elbow in the second picture and instead use a T fitting with a cap like the one in the main pipe below so then I could use a small snake to go in from there?

I am adverse to using drain cleaners for all the usual reasons. But, once the drain is clear, would putting some down there once a month or something help keep it clear? Are there things on the market today that are better/safer than years ago?

No, I don't know what is blocking it. We have a garbage disposal but, due to this, we rarely if ever use anymore. In fact, I thought that solved the problem, but it happened again the other day for the first time in quite a while. The pattern is always the same, the washing machine starts to drain, we hear a gurgling in the kitchen sink and boom, the water comes out of the washing machine drain pipe all over the laundry room. I then run the water in the kitchen sink until it starts filling and get out the plungers.

Thank you for any suggestions, other then going into the crawl space. I'd rather get drain cleaner on me then spiders...

Jim

Last edited by PJmax; 10-15-17 at 10:53 AM. Reason: added pics from links
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-17, 10:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,187 Votes on 1,098 Posts
More than likely the clog is at that 90 due to minimal pitch from there back to the washer and sink. I'm guessing when you pulled out the clean-out plug there was no back up there.

Two 45's used in the original installation would probably have been better. I see no reason not to use a cleanout tee there.

Old 10-15-17, 04:15 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks. Yes, I only pull the clean out off to make sure it' the same as last time and not a problem further on down. When I do you can see water trickling out, so it eventually drains.

So you think the 45 solution is better then a periodic chemical solution?

Thanks for the arrows, that helps clarify it.

Oh, why do you say 2 45's? I was thinking one T fitting where the elbow now is in the second picture.

Jim

Old 10-15-17, 04:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,187 Votes on 1,098 Posts
Two 45's would have supplied a more gradual bend and less place for a backup. The cleanout tee idea is also fine.

Old 04-10-18, 05:56 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 683 Votes on 630 Posts
I have never understood the recommendation for vinegar and baking soda other than to make a science fair volcano. Each on their own is a good cleaner but when you mix them together much of the benefit is lost. Your mixing a base and an acid together which largely cancel each other out.

Old 04-11-18, 11:04 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 128 Votes on 119 Posts
Just to clarify, if you want to replace the 90deg bend, you'll want to use a combo wye (wye with a street 45) or two 45s as mentioned. You do not want to use a sanitary tee.

Are you sure that's where the clog is occurring? Because it's a long bend, I find it unlikely that the kitchen/washer is causing that to clog. There's not much going down the drain that can create a real clog - and the piping looks like it's reasonably new, so it's probably not a grease build-up.

I wonder if there's a solid item in there that is causing the occasional blockage. I guess regardless, you'll find out if you cut that 90deg fitting out.

Old 04-11-18, 12:13 PM
Received 255 Votes on 229 Posts
I wonder if there's a solid item in there that is causing the occasional blockage. I guess regardless, you'll find out if you cut that 90deg fitting out.
I have similar problem. My kitchen sink has 2 90degree bends and needs to run about 25 to feet 30 feet on a slight slope before it goes in to the main vertical sewer drop. About once a year or maybe once every year and a half I'll get a solid clog about half way along the straight section of pipe between the two elbows. What's strange about my clogs is that they form a near perfect hockey type puck inside the pipe. It's like a white hard plastic material. Does not look like organic material but most likely is. A typical snake can't break it up and chemicals have no effect. And there is no warning such as slow draining days before. It just appears and is a total back up. I installed one of these as an easy clean out and usually have to push it out from one of the clean outs before or aft of the fitting.

Attached Images  
Old 04-11-18, 12:33 PM
Super Moderator
Received 126 Votes on 98 Posts
Guys, this is an older thread. A spammer brought it back to life.

Old 04-11-18, 01:43 PM
Received 255 Votes on 229 Posts
OH! Never noticed the time date stamp. Thanks for the heads up.