Pipe threading direction

Old 10-17-17, 09:25 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Pipe threading direction

Hi,

I was about to replace a leaking ball valve in my boiler system when I realized that I can not figure out how to remove it based on which way the threads on each connection turn. It is like a dang puzzle. I have attached 3 images of the valve location (it is the one with the cloth wrapped around it on the right side in the 2nd and 3rd images). If anyone could advise on how to deal with the clockwise - counterclockwise issue I am facing I would really appreciate it.

p.s. - The valve to be replaced on the left is for another time. I am also aware I need to still pipe the air intake to the boiler to the outside.

thanks,

Mark

Attached Images    
Old 10-17-17, 10:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Can;t tell if there are any unions in pipes but if there are you have to start there and work back.Need better pictures of pipes near blue box and around copper pipes.

Old 10-17-17, 10:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
There are no unions or break points. If the valve cannot be fixed in place.... the black iron pipe needs to be cut to remove it. When it's replaced a union can be installed. One cut will do it.

Name:  IMG_0892.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  36.7 KB

Old 10-17-17, 11:00 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Is the valve leaking through when closed? Or are the threads leaking because it wasn't screwed to the pipes tightly enough? Or perhaps it is dripping at the handle? If the last, first try to tighten the packing nut, the thin brass nut under the handle. You will likely need to take the handle off to do so unless you have some really thin wrenches.

Old 10-17-17, 11:04 AM
M
Okay, here are 3 more shots., behind the pvc pipe, behind the blue box and another wide angle (the image keeps turning 90 degrees when attaching, sorry).

Attached Images    
Old 10-17-17, 11:10 AM
F
Don't need any more pictures, the piping was assembled from the boiler outward. Very typical as unions add to the cost of piping.

Old 10-18-17, 04:50 PM
M
I sent the additional images at pugsl request so I was hoping he might have some more input.

Old 10-18-17, 06:11 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
When you have a threaded system..... you start from one point and work out. In your case they started the piping at the boiler and worked away from it. Your valve is in between two threaded points. Turning the valve one way will loosen one side but tighten the other. There is no way to unscrew it.

You would need to disassemble your piping working backwards.... which would be an immense project or you make a cut in the pipe and turn the valve out. Cut at the red line. Push the valve and blue pipe down slightly to remove valve. Discard the blue and green pieces of pipe. Replace the blue and green pipes with the appropriate length nipples and where the cut was will now be a union. You will have to install the new parts and then swing the valve back up to join the union.

Name:  IMG_0890.jpg
Views: 221
Size:  26.9 KB

Name:  union.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  18.7 KB

Old 10-18-17, 06:33 PM
F
I STILL want to know EXACTLY where the valve(s) are leaking. I do not see any sign of leaking at the threaded ends.

Old 11-02-17, 07:56 AM
M
Thanks everyone for the advice. I would have to say the valve is leaking at the packing nut. The area is so rusted at this point that it seems if I even try to turn the handle it would just break off. So I am definitely going to need to replace the valve.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: