Preferred way to install hose bibs to prevent future leaks?

Old 11-27-17, 10:13 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Preferred way to install hose bibs to prevent future leaks?

Do you guys have a "stronger" or preferred way of installing hose bibs? It seems like they are always being yanked and tugged on which makes me nervous about leaks inside the wall . I'm installing on stucco siding which is essentially 1 1/4" thick. IE: a drop ear attached to framing inside the wall is still too far from the face of the exterior to screw into directly.

Was considering drilling a very tight hole for the 3/4" female threaded coupler and just using lots of silicone to keep in place. Or would it be better to install a drop ear with a 2"-3" adapter with a threaded male on one end and threaded female on hose bib end? That way I can just unscrew the adapter and re-tape if a hose bib needs to be replaced?

I'm I overthinking this?

Old 11-27-17, 10:45 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
The boiler valve in your hand is not approved for use on potable water sources. An approved sillcock will have a anti-sipon vacuum breaker device. Most sillcocks also have mounting screw slots or holes which allows the valve to be secured to the house so you aren't relying on the plumbing to hold it in place.

You could also go for one that has the valve and hose connection separate. These are most often used in commercial construction and the knob (key) is removable to prevent tampering. The big benefit is they have a big mounting plate so they are easy to mount very securely.

Old 11-27-17, 10:50 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Excellent answer, and the copper pipe should be anchored to the framing with a pipe strap to prevent it from moving.

Old 11-27-17, 11:30 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks! For some reason, both home depot AND lowes do not have the anti-syphon hose bibs. Plenty "normal" hose bibs but none of the anti-syphon ones.....odd. I guess I'll order online.

Is it ok to replace that 90 with a drop ear 90 and then use copper pipe to make a threaded adapter? Will 3/4" copper pipe with threaded ends soldered on be strong enough to withstand screwing the valve on/off? I've been told not to manipulate or put more pressure than needed on soldered joints so I'm hesitant to do so.

Old 11-27-17, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 84 Upvotes on 76 Posts
Home stores carry frost free bibs... Not sure where you were looking...

With the vacuum breaker also...

https://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing...5yc1vZca22Zcub

Old 11-27-17, 12:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
I see you are Cal. may not have frost free valves if in SoCal. but should have anti siphon valves.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: