always on heat tape

Old 12-08-17, 12:54 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
always on heat tape

does anyone know a good quality pipe heat tape/wrap that is always on or has a thermostat over ride to stay on??

Old 12-08-17, 01:08 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I don't know of any without a thermostat but gotta ask why? I'd think the heat tape would have shorter life if it didn't have a cold pipe to help cool it.

Old 12-08-17, 03:18 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Do a Google for Raychem heat trace. It is a self-regulating product, can be bought by the foot and has special ends and splice kits to make any length you need.

Old 12-08-17, 04:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
It would be helpful to know the application.

Old 12-11-17, 09:58 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
Not sure your particular application, but some roof heating cables (to melt snow/ice from the roof and gutters) don't have an integral thermostat and require to be turned on/off manually based on the temperature and weather. It's a similar form-factor, though honestly I'm not sure how similar it is to pipe heating cables in terms of temperature or heat output.

Old 12-11-17, 10:46 AM
B
Received 13 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Not sure but when he says "always on" I think he means the old style where the thermostat is in free air, when it gets cold out it comes on and stays on till it warms up.

These new junk ones have the thermostat under the insulation and go by the water temperature in the pipe which means going on and off almost constantly. I bought one of these and it didn't last two winters and my pipes froze. Yeah, you save a few pennies on electricity but when it dies you may have broken pipes underground. Huge PITA. $$$$$$

A big benefit to me is if you don't use water often the water in the pipe gets nice and toasty which I think backs up underground a bit and makes me happy.

Only old type I found this year is made by Wrap-On.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: