Need help on kitchen faucet

Old 12-14-17, 05:40 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry Need help on kitchen faucet

Our old Moen kitchen faucet has been leaking for quite sometime. Recently decided to replace the leaking Cartridge. So, got a new cartridge from Moen. But replacing the cartridge has turned into a nightmare!

The old cartridge does not come out. Have used cartridge puller tool, tap and bolt and every technicque recommended on Youtube and internet.... No, Sir, no luck! and cannot afford hiring a plumber. The cartridge stem came out, but the brass cartridge shell is still in there. It is a cylinder about 1/2 inch wide, 4 inch tall, and has a hole in the bottom.

Is there anything you can suggest? Is there a way to just break this brass shell piece by piece? Anything ?! So, asking for your advice, suggestion, and any help you can provide.

Old 12-14-17, 06:23 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
There are many different cartridge types.
A model number of the faucet or a picture would be helpful.
How-to-insert-pictures

Old 12-14-17, 06:50 PM
J
This Cartridge is Moen 1225. About 20 years old.

Old 12-14-17, 06:56 PM
Group Moderator
I'm personally not familiar with that cartridge. See if this tutorial from Moen is of any help.
moen/customer-support/installation-help/1225-cartridge-replacement-tutorial

Old 12-14-17, 07:19 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Sorry to tell you but it might be easier to replace the entire faucet assembly. Once that cartridge gets stuck it is almost impossible to remove.

While I strongly prefer the Moen single lever faucet the truth is that it doesn't much like hard water. If you have hard water the cartridge should be removed at least once a year, clean the lime from it and then grease it up with silicone plumber's grease before re-installing.

Old 12-14-17, 07:51 PM
J
Yes, we do have hard water here and that is what is keeping the cartridge from coming out. And yes I have followed Moen's instructions but no luck. As you suggested, I may have to replace the whole faucet. However, since only the brass shell is remaining inside, there should be a way to break it and get it out piece by piece . Someone suggested to me that is the way a plumber would do it!

Old 12-14-17, 08:21 PM
Group Moderator
You would have to use some type of saw or mini grinder.... like a Dremel... to put a slice most of the way thru the brass. Too deep and you risk damaging the housing.

Old 12-14-17, 10:37 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
As PJ suggests or maybe, just maybe if you are lucky you might be able to drill the shell until it is paper thin and then peel it out. Or maybe drill it and use a large tap threaded into the brass (only) and then turn it out.

I was once successful using a pair of Vice Grips on the stem and hammering upward with a dead-blow hammer but it reads as if you have already gotten the stem out and if so that probably won't work.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: