How probable is built up Shower Head?

Old 12-23-17, 04:59 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
How probable is built up Shower Head?

Hello, I have lost the water pressure in my main bath shower tub. I have a ranch home with a full open crawl space. I checked on the copper pipe feeds in the the tub area and have no sign of new or old water marks on the sub floor(beaver board in crawl space) where the copper 90 enters into the vertical. Everything looks good below. I ran the shower for a minute or two before going down. I followed the copper to where it comes into the house underground and back to hot water tank and absolutely no sign of a break or leak anywhere. Good pressure on all other house faucets. My house was built in 1986 and it is the original shower head placed with the house. If it were the pipes broken or leaking, I should see some water stains on the subfloor, correct? Going to change the shower head to see if that may be my problem. My question is.... can an old shower head build up enough to obstruct the flow of water? I know that's possible but is it probable, the norm? This shower head has always had the best pressure in the house as it's the first closest to the water main coming into the house, about 4 feet away and closest to our 50 gallon hot water heater about 6 feet away. Our tap water is drinkable, good water too. Thanks! Merry Christmas and Best Wishes in the New Year to all

Attached Images   
Old 12-23-17, 05:11 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have seen faucets lose all flow because of a clogged aerator/mineral deposits. Changing the head should be easy enough. If you need to use two wrenches to remove the old head, use a heavy rag on the shower arm to protect the finish.

Apply 2 - 3 wraps of Teflon tape on the male threads (clockwise) before threading on the new head.

* It could also be a failed cartridge

Last edited by Handyone; 12-23-17 at 05:13 PM. Reason: cartridge
Old 12-23-17, 05:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Take the head off and turn the water on. Should be easy to tell. If you still don't have water it's probably the valve.

Old 12-23-17, 06:14 PM
Thanks! I got it off to clean the head. Trying to send a short video on the water pressure leaving the pipe. Looks like I have water here. My prior pressure really shot out of head like a fire hose. Does this stream look like as powerful? I couldn't load more than 20mb leaving my phone sending to my desk top. This is 12mb video.

DIY says I am missing a security token to load a video here so no video right now. Will your format accept from my phone? Thanks!

Attached Images  
Old 12-23-17, 06:22 PM
Here's a still pic of water coming out of shower pipe. Can you tell from the still pic if this is normal? Will check on video in a bit. It fills up the whole pipe so I guess that's good enough for anyone. lol

Attached Images  

Last edited by Raemarti; 12-23-17 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-23-17, 06:29 PM
Ok. Never mind on video. Your format only accepts as much a 4MB. Wow! I appreciate you guys being here! There's eggnog to drink but your here! You guys rock!!

Last edited by Raemarti; 12-23-17 at 06:53 PM.
Old 12-23-17, 06:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
You have plenty of water so either replace the shower head or boil it in vinegar for a while and put it back on.

Old 12-23-17, 06:36 PM
Soaking and cleaning shower head now. Looks like the water is there. I just got to make it into the ol' fire hose it use to be. Planning for a new shower head but want to get this back on there as I won't be out and about until after Christmas! Thanks!

Attached Images  
Old 12-23-17, 06:49 PM
Thanks! Thanks to all of you!

Old 12-23-17, 06:57 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'm taking a shower after seeing those pics, looks like fun..... Happy Holidays

Old 12-27-17, 05:30 PM
Got my fire hose back! Easier than a piece of pecan pie! The vinegar boil took a lot of the brass shine off but still looks OK. It's working like a champ! It tightened right up on the ball so I can put it where I want it, like always. Amazing circa 1986! Thank you guys for the great help! Blessings to you all in the new year coming!

Attached Images   
Old 12-27-17, 05:35 PM
Talking

ha ha ha My visiting brother said "that spray could take the chrome off of a trailer hitch!" lol

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: