Whole House Water Filter only 3/4" NPT

Old 01-05-18, 08:59 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Whole House Water Filter only 3/4" NPT

I am wondering why the "standard" whole home water filter systems are only 3/4". I have a 1" line coming from my pressure tank and then it goes to the 3/4" filter then back to a 1" line to the main trunk of the piping system.

When I look up 1" systems they use pricey filters instead of the 10.25" filters. I am asking because I want to put in a shut off valve before the filter and I can either do it with a 3/4" ball valve or should I change everything to 1" (filter system and valve)? Am I losing a fair amount of water volume with the 3/4" filter system (bottleneck) in place?

I did come across a "no name" filter system on an auction site that uses the 10.25" filters and has 1" ports. If I'm going to fix this I'd rather do it right. Thanks

Old 01-05-18, 09:41 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
If you are concerned with diminished volume then simply pipe in two filters in parallel.

Old 01-05-18, 09:59 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
Most (85-95%) of residential water services are 3/4". It's pretty rare to see a 1" service unless it's compensating for a long distance, is split off for irrigation, or is an exceptionally large house. If you really need the volume of water a 1" service provides, I'd imagine a standard filter probably doesn't have the capacity for that much volume. (Though to be honest, I don't know the flow rates of those filters and how quickly they decline).

Why do you have a 1" service? Do you have a lot of bathrooms/fixtures? Or are you just a long way from the city main?

Old 01-05-18, 10:18 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fairly large house. I have 3 baths because of I have an in-law apartment.

I like the idea of running two 3/4" in parallel . I already have 2 filter housings so I'll probably just do that. I'm not sure if it will make a difference but I might as well use them if I have them.

Old 01-05-18, 03:50 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
I have a one inch service line coming from the meter into the house. My house is only 1500 square feet and two bathrooms. The one inch goes through a main shut-off and then after about a foot tees into two, 3/4 inch lines, one going to the water heater and the other going to the cold water. My meter is only a 3/4 inch model but is is some sixty feet from the house.

One nice thing about using two filters in parallel is that you can valve off each filter individually for cartridge changing and not disrupt the water service in the house.

Old 01-05-18, 04:32 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Dual filters is sort of overkill, if you have 1" lines, like I have, but a 3/4" filter, like I have, the pressure drop is insignificant. You will not even notice it!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: