Pre-install NG pipe

Old 01-25-18, 06:28 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: USA
Posts: 7
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pre-install NG pipe

To start off, I live in Maryland (for potential code purposes). I am looking to have my home converted to natural gas since my power company offers some incentives and I prefer gas for some of my appliances. I am in the process of checking to see if my house has a capped gas line from prior residents (home was refurbished recently with all new electric... everything). It seems as if my street has a gas line, but I haven't called the energy company to fully check yet.

My question before I really get to deep into everything is installation of pipes. Assuming that when they redid the house they removed or any prior lines (if any), I would need new lines installed or at least lines to where I want the gas. Being that I am not a licensed/insured plumber or a professional, I would have to have some help in this area. But trying to cut time and cost from a plumbers equation has led me to question if I could pre-install the lines and have the plumber conduct the tests on them. I feel it would be the same as say, the lines already being there and having a plumber come out and inspect and ensure everything is good and sealed to have the gas turned on.

Please correct me if I am wrong, I am just like most of us trying to save a buck or two by cutting out the middle man some. I would of course still have the plumber inspect and pressure test everything, I would just lay the ground work.
Old 01-25-18, 08:54 AM
Handyone's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,807
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The first step is to see if you have a gas meter. It might sound obvious but I would assume every house has a meter.
Once you determine the size of the meter, you can start figuring how to get a line from the meter to the appliance you want to serve.
For example a modern high quality gas range would probably require a 3/4" line straight from the meter to behind the range.

Some localities will not allow a homeowner to work on their own gas lines.
I would make calls to both the Gas Supplier and the City Building Department and they can steer you in what you need.

I have seen gas lines hidden in the wall behind an electric range, one way to check is to look in the attic or crawlspace if available.
Old 01-25-18, 10:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 5,997
Received 400 Upvotes on 356 Posts
Many gas companies will run a new gas line to your house at no cost (depending of course distance and things like that). Definitely start by giving them a call.

Then you or your plumber will run the pipes from the meter to the appliances in the house, typically using either black steel pipe or yellow CSST flexible pipe. The entire system will be pressure tested and inspected by your local inspector before the gas company will mount or turn on the meter.

If it's something you feel comfortable doing on your own, I would definitely look into CSST. It's much easier than a lot of threaded connections, though a bit pricier too.

Gas piping is usually something many DIYers will want to leave to an experienced plumber though. The sizing process can be complicated, and of course ensuring safety is of utmost importance. I think it's doubtful that you'd find a plumber who would just come in and check your work - as it's increased liability for him. Though, you won't know if you don't ask! You might find someone who's willing to work through it with you - letting you do some of the work in exchange for a lower price.
Old 02-10-18, 08:47 PM
steve_gro's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 967
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I would personally be very reluctant to put my name to someone else's work, esp a non-professional. Just the liability alone would be off-putting. I want my work to be 100% professional.

But (in most cases) I would have no qualms letting a home-owner be my helper.
Old 03-02-18, 07:53 PM
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 57
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Is two-pound possible for you...

Don't know if they are doing it in your service area, but in Northern Virginia 30 years ago, some houses were converted from all electric to both electric and gas with the two-pound system. This system supplies NG at 2 PSI and allows/requires runs to individual appliances to be at smaller diameters than would be required at normal NG pressures (8-12" water column). A regulator at the appliance steps the pressure down. Commonly, the runs were in soft copper tubing that could be snaked through places where iron pipe wouldn't be practical (much like CSST). Plumbers (and homeowners doing their own work) needed a certification course in how to use 2-pound before they were authorized to use it. This information is offered regardless of whether it is particularly applicable to the OP.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: