Toilet tank empties after replacing Fill Valve

Old 02-04-18, 05:08 AM
N
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Toilet tank empties after replacing Fill Valve

Hello,

Water started leaking from Fill Valve (top portion seemed to have developed a crack).

Replaced Fill Valve and then don't know what came to my mind, I filled tank with water, then shut off water inlet valve. Saw that toilet tank keeps getting empty.

No leaks on floor etc. so leak has to be through toilet bowl.

So th only thing that comes to mind is flapper but if that was the case, water would have been leaking earlier as well and I would have seen a massive increase in bill since the tank empties at quite a good flow rate.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Old 02-04-18, 05:38 AM
Received 79 Upvotes on 69 Posts
Often, if the flapper valve is leaking, you'll see a disturbance in the water in the toilet bowl. Are you seeing any indication that the flapper is leaking, letting water into the bowl? Have you removed the flapper and inspected it for any tears or "bad spots" that would make it not seal? While the flapper is off, is the opening in the tank that the flapper seals against smooth and flat?

Old 02-04-18, 05:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Some food coloring in tank will let you know for sure going to bowl. Flapper or tank seal usual problems.

Old 02-04-18, 05:58 AM
N
Have not noticed any movement per se but then my eyes are no longer as they used to be and bathroom light isn't very bright. Will take a look at it again with a flashlight.

Funny that flapper would start exhibiting problem at the same time that I replaced fill valve, isn't it?

If the problem existed before, I'd have heard fill valve running every now and then due to flapper leak, isn't it?

Thanks,

Old 02-04-18, 06:50 AM
Received 79 Upvotes on 69 Posts
It is odd that the problem coincided with replacing the fill valve. However, it's possible that you accidentally disturbed something on the flapper valve assembly while replacing the fill valve. I would suggest that you turn off the water to the toilet and remove the flapper and inspect the flapper and mating surface for any damage.

Old 02-04-18, 07:00 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Make sure the chain on your flapper is not too long. Sometimes it can get sucked under the flapper preventing a seal.

Old 02-04-18, 07:41 AM
W
Received 63 Upvotes on 55 Posts
Make sure the chain on your flapper is not too long. Sometimes it can get sucked under the flapper preventing a seal.
Also, make sure the chain is not kinked. A kinked chain can be short enough to prevent the flapper from closing all the way.

Old 02-04-18, 08:26 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
It's probably the flapper like said, but check for siphoning:

There is a mark/critical line near the top of a Fluidmaster valve. The CL of the fill valve must be above the height of the flush valve.
Adjust the fill valve as high as possible. Pull/loosen the locking ring, Pull up on the valve to adjust height, and then push back the locking ring.
Also ensure the fill tube from the valve is hovering over the flush tube and not inserted into it.

Old 02-04-18, 09:44 AM
N
@Bob14525 - Don't know what I could have done to "flapper" since I didn't even touch it unless something moved while I was unscrewing the Fill Valve nut at the bottom of the tank.

@czizz, @Wirepuller38 - Thanks, but the flapper had been working fine so far, no issues with chain etc. Hence the confusion.

@Handyone - Yes, did install the Fill Valve as high as possible, also put the overfill tube higher than than the tube by having a clip on a higher side.

Will replace flapper and see what happens.

If the tank seal where the tank sits on the bowl, was leaking then I'm assuming the leak would appear on the floor OR most of the water in the tank would also leak away but that is not happening. Water level, after tank runs out, is just near the flapper.

Thanks everyone for your assistance.

Old 02-04-18, 09:39 PM
The only things in a toilet tank are the fill valve and the flush valve with a flapper on it. Gotta be something with the flapper.

Old 02-05-18, 02:45 AM
N
@steve_gro - Not sure I'd put it as simple as that.

One could have cracks on the tank, tank seal could be bad etc. etc.

Old 02-05-18, 11:03 AM
I guess I was assuming that the tank was emptying into the bowl in this particular instance. I agree that any number of other things can go wrong with a toilet.

Old 02-05-18, 02:34 PM
S
I did have that same problem a couple of weeks ago. Went through the same scenario . Turns out the new fill valve was siphoning , I could hear it trickling out of the bowl feed tube. The fill valve was an expensive Kohler unit. One of those retired plumbers at HD told me to just buy a Fluidmaster, cause thats who makes them for Kohler, and that did the trick.
Sid

Old 02-06-18, 01:58 AM
N
@sidny - I did get the Fluidmaster.

How can one find out if Fill Valve is siphoning?

Old 02-06-18, 06:56 AM
S
Watch the bowl fill tube that clips on to the overflow housing. Its on one or two previous posts. And if it is siphoning, the fill valve till come on every once in a while, to keep the tank full.
Sid

Old 02-18-18, 05:11 AM
N
Changed flapper as well and now everything seems to be working fine.

New Fill Valve replaces the Ball Fill Valve and I had to keep it at a high height so that the Critical Line was above the top of Overflow Pipe. One of these days will need to cut that pipe short.

Why can't manufacturers build to one common spec for something like a toilet tank where things really haven't changed much? :-) Old toilet is about 10 years old.

Funny that both Fill Valve and Flapper had issues at the same time unless changing the Fill Valve caused something to the flapper but I can't think of any reason.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and comments

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: