Sanitize pipes?

Old 02-04-18, 05:57 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sanitize pipes?

I am going to be plumbing in a water softener and have what may be a dumb question. I'll be using cpvc or pex and quick connect couplings. My question concerns the sanitization of the new lines in run . Do they need to be cleaned/sanitized somehow before using for drinking water? I mean they gave been transported and then stored in probably not the most sanitary conditions so wondering if they are supposed to be cleaned out somehow .Not a germaphobe, just clueless .

Thanks

Old 02-04-18, 08:33 PM
J
Received 128 Upvotes on 113 Posts
If you did it you may be the first one that ever did.
Use Pex not CPVC!.

Old 02-04-18, 09:35 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Most (if not all) new pipe is shipped with plastic caps on the ends. You can get type K copper cleaned & capped if you're really concerned, but it'll cost you. You can clean pipe yourself with TSP, or just flush it for a few minutes.

Last edited by steve_gro; 02-04-18 at 09:36 PM. Reason: added a woid
Old 02-05-18, 02:52 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
I've never heard of anyone doing anything other than just running water thru the pipes. If you have municipal water the chlorine in the water will further 'clean' out the pipes.

Old 02-05-18, 03:06 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
The transportation and storage of uncapped piping is not likely to introduce more than simple dust which can be easily flushed out.

But, are you on a treated municipal water system?
If so there are requirements for chlorination that will have there be a residual level of about .5 ppm chlorine in the water delivered to hour home.
This would be more than enough to take care of any incidental contamination.
If you have a carbon filter remove it temporarily as it will remove the chlorine.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: