To Filter or not to filter

Reply

  #1  
Old 02-28-18, 11:10 PM
P
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: United States
Posts: 500
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
To Filter or not to filter

I have a GE whole house filter....I can use paper filter to remove sediment or activated Carbon to remove sediment and dissolved gasses such as Chlorine.
I have been using the activated charcoal filter for a long time and was only recently told that my other problem may be caused by this type of filter.
So this other problem is that I keep getting some reddish, slimy discoloration.
I am pretty sure this is not an iron / mineral deposit but rather some sort of bacterial biofilm that forms pretty quickly ....

Was told that this is probably due to the filter capturing the chlorine and allowing the germs to adhere where water may be standing for a day or so....
I really keep my place really clean and try to dry all spaces after taking shower etc... but this stuff seems to form faster than any other place I have lived in....

So...should I change to pleated paper filter and not use active Carbon filters ?

PS: City water
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 03-01-18, 01:06 AM
Marq1's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: USA MI
Posts: 6,691
Received 394 Votes on 368 Posts
due to the filter capturing the chlorine and allowing the germs to adhere where water may be standing for a day or so....

Something is not adding up, you have city water which is treated so very unlikely there is any type of bacteria in the incoming water thus the filter would not be capturing anything that would cause an issue.

In the comment above you reference standing water so is the issue water coming out of he tap or water that is left over from a shower?
 
  #3  
Old 03-01-18, 06:14 AM
P
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 23,987
Received 682 Votes on 629 Posts
My office is on city water and has no filtration. The reddish slime appears in the building's humidifier. There is standing water in the humidifier though it's used heavily in winter so the water is replaced about every day and a half but there is no sign of the red slime in the restroom or sinks. So, I would tend to think your filtration has nothing to do with the appearance of the red slime.

It would be easy to perform a experiment though. Change back to a pleated sediment filter with no carbon, clean up the red slime and see if the problem reoccurs. If it does you know it's likely not related to the charcoal filter.
 
  #4  
Old 03-01-18, 01:11 PM
F
Member
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Wet side of Washington state.
Posts: 18,495
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Fairly light reddish tint? Won't rinse out regardless of pressure but wipes out easily? It is a fairly harmless bacteria that comes from...people using the sink or shower. Just clean it out with any normal household cleaning product once in a while. Weekly does nicely for me.
 
  #5  
Old 03-02-18, 03:12 PM
S
Member
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ca
Posts: 227
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I think he may be referring to the carbon filter removing the chlorine from the water and the water in the pipes start to buildup bacteria because there is no chlorine to kill it when the water is not flowing through the pipes. Well don't anyone be alarmed but I'll bet that carbon filter only removes a very minute amount of chlorine. Also most cities have switched over to using chloramine instead of chlorine because it doesn't gas off as quickly as chlorine. Carbon filters barely touch that stuff. It is mostly advertising hype. Water has to go through a filter very slowly to absorb all the chlorine and a special carbon mix has to be used for chloramine. You can get cheap chlorine/chloramine test strips to see if it is effective. Also tap water will still have bacteria in it even when treated with chlorine/chloramine. There is an allowable limit and they add enough to keep it in that limit. The simplest test is like Pilot Dane suggested. Switch to just a sediment filter, however it take quite awhile for the pipes to flush out the stuff.

skeeter
 
  #6  
Old 04-12-18, 01:25 PM
M
Member
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: United States
Posts: 9
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If this looks like a non-precipitating brownish cast, it's iron bacteria. In that case, put the filter in bypass and allow chlorine water to flow through the house. Flush out the pipe lines by opening all faucets. This should take care of it.

I'd also suggest using a kitchen under the sink reverse osmosis water filter for drinking water since it also takes care of any chlorine that bypass the whole house system as well as a wide range of other contaminants such as chromium, lead, copper, mercury....etc.
 
Reply
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: