PVC primer without glue question

Old 04-04-18, 06:20 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
PVC primer without glue question

So I just learned one of those things that I didn't know that I didn't know.

I had no idea that the primer was only step one of joining pipes together. I'm sure a lot of you probably don't know how that's possible, but if that's the worst mistake I made during my remodel then I'll count myself lucky. Another lucky stroke is that this mistake was made on a drain and not a pressure pipe.

Anyway my question is what would you do if you discovered your plumber had done this given the following (I'm not slapping myself so lets count that as noted and move on):

1) The portion bound by primer only is the tub pvc piece, the small section of pipe that connects that piece to a coupling, and that coupling to the main assembly that was in place already. So 3 joints over a 5 inch span. (The overflow was done using this too but I can reach that from my access panel to cover in flex seal if needed)

2) I tested this connection extensively. I filled the tub to the brim to test the overflow and watch for leaks and freed the drain repeatedly to flood the drain and watch for leaks. I also ran piping hot water through as well to test it and never saw a leak.

3) The drain is over a section of foundation they chiseled out because they misrouted the original drain and had to angle it to meet the tub during construction. I used scrap wood to make a makeshift support for one of the tubs foam feet but it doesn't really use it, more or less put it there in case it might need it. (Basically the wood may rot if a drip developed, but the drip from showers should just start a sinkhole... right?)

Anyway, I'm trying to assess the severity of this mistake. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-18, 06:11 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 676 Votes on 625 Posts
Yes, both primer and glue are required. The fact that one is that primer is called "primer" and "glue". Most/all inspection departments require the use of dyed primer (the purple stuff) so it's easy to visually inspect that primer was used. Glue can usually be inspected by looking for a bead of it where the two pieces come together.

If you've got joints already installed the only way to glue them is to remove them and re-do it properly. You can not simply dabble glue over the outside especially with a tub or shower drain. It may not leak when just testing but when someone gets in the shower and moves around a slight motion will get transferred to the drain pipe causing it to leak sometime in the future. You might get lucky and be able to remove and re-use the PVC pieces you have but it may be quicker and easier to simply cut them out and replace them.

Old 04-05-18, 09:57 AM
Received 392 Votes on 366 Posts
The real question is what is the least amount of work required to fix.

Take the current plumbing apart and replace while you have access to it or wait a few years when a leak appears and then you have to tear into walls or floors and replace the plumbing.

Thank yourself for finding it now while it's a simple lessons learned!

Old 04-05-18, 11:50 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Pictures will better help us help you https://www.doityourself.com/forum/l...rt-images.html. If they used a glued up trasp throw that away and go back with a slip fitting trap.