How to properly size a manifold

Old 05-27-18, 07:39 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How to properly size a manifold

All of my shutoffs for each bath / kitchen fixtures are located in the basement above the drop ceiling. I want to move all ball valves into my utility boiler room using PEX. how do I size the manifold properly at the water heater so as to not starve any fixtures of volume and pressure once all is set up, especially if multiple fixtures are calling for water, hot or cold ?

Old 05-28-18, 05:45 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
You just size it based on your incoming pipe size. Most houses have 3/4" incoming piping, so a 3/4" manifold will work perfectly. All the runs out will most likely be 1/2" runs.

Old 05-29-18, 04:48 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have a well and the main trunk is 1" with a 3/4" supplying a soaking tub and all others being fed with 1/2". So you are saying if I just build a manifold with my appropriate sized feeds to each fixture, I should be good ?

Old 05-29-18, 10:23 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
You got it! No reason to over-think it. Whether you use an off-the-shelf manifold or build your own, it should work as you expect. Just remember to consider adding a capped off tee or something to expand it in the future when you need to install a new fixture somewhere.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: