How To Replace Broken Lever On Ball Valve

Old 05-30-18, 09:28 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How To Replace Broken Lever On Ball Valve

The lever on the water main to my house has rusted off of the ball valve. It looks as though part of the lever or handle has seized or rusted itself onto the stem. How can I get it off and replace just the lever? It's in a tight space down low to the ground so of course it won't be easy; I've already tried a few tricks to no avail. The valve it self looks fine, no leaks, it's just what's left of the lever is corroded onto the stem. Can I heat it up to loosen it before I gingerly tap it off or is there a special tool I don't know aboout? Definately do not want a plumber doing the job; I can do it, just need a little help. Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Old 05-30-18, 09:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Post a picture of what you have there. How-to-insert-pictures

Old 05-31-18, 04:56 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Before going to the trouble of removing and replacing the handle I would check to see if the valve opens and closes. If it's seized in position you may need to replace the valve. No sense in putting a new handle on a valve that doesn't work.

You'll just have to figure out a way to remove the handle based on your skills and the tools you have available. I would not use a torch as you may damage the seals in the valve. Some penetrating oil and wiggling may help. Worst case you could use a Dremel tool to carefully cut or grind away at it. After you get it off the big question will be "can you fabricate a new handle" as I have never seen handles only being sold. They come as part of a new/complete valve.

Old 05-31-18, 03:44 PM
S
The valve does open and close. I have a pair of channel locks tied to the pipe in case of an emergency which lets me turn the valve until I can hopefully replace the lever. Before I posted last night, I went ahead and bought a new ball valve over the weekend just for the handle. I'll take a picture of what the old handle looks like and another picture with what I think is a similar lever which will show how it is attached to the stem. I'm hoping that it's not threaded, but rather popped onto the stem. Check out the pics in about an hour or so and let me know what you think. Thank you Dane.

Old 05-31-18, 04:26 PM
S
The file size of the pictures are too large. I'm going to try and grind it off with a Dremel. It's just one of those things you learn by gingerly taking it apart and learning as you go.

Old 06-01-18, 04:52 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Usually the stem of the valve has a flat on one side or is square shaped. The end of the shaft is threaded or tapped to accept a nut or screw to hold the handle in place so I'm betting you'll be dealing with threads either external or internal on the valve's shaft. So, be careful when removing the old handle. If you damage the threads you may need the entire valve you bought.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: