Need help with supply line sizing please!!!

Old 07-06-18, 08:09 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need help with supply line sizing please!!!

Hello, this is my first time posting on this forum. I've been lurking for a long time and gaining all types of knowledge which has been great for my current remodel. My wife and I completely gutted the main floor of our 1970s style ranch and are in the process of rebuilding everything. With our first child on the way I'm under the gun to keep this remodel moving along!

My question is in regards to properly sizing my supply lines. We are on a private well and the pressure gauge at the well has a 40/60 pressure switch. I've attached an image of our layout and my current thoughts on supply line sizes but I was hoping for some professional feedback on what I have diagramed here. Also, is there any need for a pressure booster? We will potentially have a total of 3 full bathrooms and two half bathrooms, along with the usual kitchen and laundry demands. Obviously this will not all be running at once. Another issue is that we have some pretty long runs because of the location of the well in regards to the water heater and all the fixtures (downside of a large ranch house). My biggest questions are do I need to upsize to 1 1/4 inch after the pressure tank and filtration system as I have diagrammed? Also, should I use 1" (which I have diagrammed) or 3/4" after the water heater to servide the two full bathrooms and possibly a 3rd in the basement in the future? The water heater has 3/4" inlet and outlet.

Any and all help, suggestions, thoughts, etc. would be very much appreciated. Thank you to all those who've already helped me without even knowing it through previous forum posts that I was able to follow.

Attached Images  
Old 07-06-18, 09:09 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Since you are on a well the big question is what can your well supply? Once you know that you can size the line accordingly. If you don't know then bigger is usually better.

Old 07-08-18, 06:49 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
I'm having a bit of trouble reading your drawing. But in general, 3/4" should be fine for any normal-sized house. (unless you're talking a 5000+ sq ft house). The piping will be pretty standard I think.

Old 07-08-18, 07:32 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I'm not able to enlarge the image enough to see any detail, but as a wild guess, the code book shows 1-1/4" for 37 fixture units at 40' on the low pressure scale (30 ~ 45 lbs).
If I jump to the medium pressure scale (46~ 60 lbs) 1" could go 80'. If you're planning additional bathrooms, over-sizing is better than under-sizing. You only have to do it once (hopefully).

If you tally up the fixture units and provide distance to the furthest fixture, I could be more accurate.

Old 07-09-18, 06:30 AM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your feedback everyone. I really appreciate it. I'm sorry that the image is so hard to read. I've tried uploading a pdf that is much clearer but it keeps telling me the file size is too big and I'm not sure how to get around that. I've re-attached the image in hopes that maybe it is a little clearer. I tallied up the total WSFUs to be 33 with our current design. That doesn't account for the hose bibs nor the future full bath we would like to add in the basement as marked in the diagram. The furthese fixture from where the well pump enters the house is about 120 feet away which is our kitchen sink just past the water heater in the diagram. Since the distances are hard to see in the diagram, to give you an idea of the size of the house it is a 3000 sq. ft. ranch (no including our full basement with walk-out). Thank you again!

Attached Images  
Old 07-10-18, 08:35 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You could post the image to postimage.org, then post the link:

https://postimages.org/

But from what you say I think I'd run 1-1/4" at a minimum. You only have to do this once, and if you'd like everything to work at the same time (family over for the holidays) that should provide reasonable volume. If it were my place I'd run an 1-1/2" main.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: