Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Plumbing, Piping, Water Heating, Wells, Air & Water Filtration and Conditioning > Plumbing and Piping
Reload this Page >

How to secure ice maker water line to basement wall. Also, which water filter?

Old 07-17-18, 06:09 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello, this is a follow up question to one you guys helped with already. So, I'm putting a refrigerator in my basement with an ice maker. You guys suggested using a Sharkbite, which I am planning to use, but how should I run the line? I assume I should use a 1/4" braided line from the Sharkbite to the fridge but that's about 10' from the water line located at the basement ceiling to the refrigerator inlet located at the floor. I'm concerned about the line somehow getting pulled and damaging my CPVC (not sure how this would happen, but I have a kids so anything's possible).

Can you guys offer any suggestions on how to secure the line to prevent any potential damages?

Also, I'd like to add a filter. I think I need an inline water filter for this application. Any suggestions what to use and tips for installation?

Thanks you! - Rick

*** Edit: I should have added that my basement wall is concrete.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-18, 11:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,187 Votes on 1,098 Posts
The line should run across the ceiling and drop down behind the fridge. No protection needed.
I use 1/4" copper or 1/4" poly line with 1/4" one hole plastic straps.
You can get one hole straps from the home improvement stores to fit any size line.
Since you are dealing with a masonry wall.... you'll need to plastic anchors and screws.

Name:  clampp1.jpg
Views: 138
Size:  13.1 KB

As far as water filters...... get one from the home improvement store. I usually get whichever one they currently have in stock. Some are standard 6 month types and others are good for about 2 years.

Old 07-18-18, 10:54 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 128 Votes on 119 Posts
I would continue the main plumbing run to the fridge, then add a shutoff with 1/4" adapter at the fridge location. The extension could be CPVC or PEX, whatever is easiest. Mount that run securely to the joists/wall, then add the shutoff to a short braided line to the fridge.

SharkBite connectors will easily connect PEX, so I'd go that route, and not worry about crimping or anything (unless you have other PEX plumbing plans in the future).

Old 07-18-18, 05:45 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys!

Zorfdt, just curious why you'd go that route? Is it for appearance or function?

I was thinking of just using one the Sharkbite fittings with shutoff valve and running a stainless steel braided line directly to the water inlet on the fridge. My only concern was it somehow pulling on the main water line and potentially causing damage, so I was thinking of mounting a piece of wood to my concrete basement wall and securing the braided line to that piece of wood with a strap like pjmax showed.

However, if I run the main line to the fridge with a shutoff at the floor, would I use a sharkbite tee like the one below on the main line. Then connect a piece of PEX or CPVC to the tee and attache that to the wall (or piece of attached wood) to secure it. My only thoughts about this is there's no shut off at the main line like the one above, and if something were to happen from the main line to the connection at the fridge I'd have to shut off my main water supply to fix it (unlike the built in shut off in my original idea).

** I get very nervous about my son damaging any exposed plumbing I run. Maybe PEX would be a better option over CPVC if I go this route because it might be more forgiving if he hits it (I know it's going to happen).

Again, I'm just trying to pick the best option and have no experience, so I really appreciate your suggestions and advice.

Old 07-18-18, 11:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,187 Votes on 1,098 Posts
mounting a piece of wood to my concrete basement wall and securing the braided line to that piece of wood with a strap
I would choose that method over running a water line at floor level.