Can't find shut off for outdoor hose spigots

Old 08-29-18, 05:15 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Can't find shut off for outdoor hose spigots

So this one has me stumped. I have a spigot (bib? faucet?) in the garage - I believe it's a Woodford Model 14 - that leaks from the handle when it is turned on. I had planned on buying a rebuild kit and replacing all the rubber bits, but in order to do that I need to shut off the water. I tried turning off the main water supply to the house but that didn't turn off the water to the spigot. I thought maybe there would be a separate shut off valve on the other side of the wall in the crawlspace where the spigot goes through. So after reenacting the scene in The Lord of the RIngs where Frodo fights his way through a bunch of spider webs, I made it to the back side of the spigot. There was no separate shut off valve. It just plugged into the piping that runs under the house. I followed the piping as much as I could, but there were no other valves under the house. Is it common for outdoor spigots to not have a separate shut off? The valve I closed to turn off water to the house was behind the water softener, so maybe there is a different main shut off valve in the yard. I just bought this house about 2 months ago, so still figuring stuff out. Might have to call the water company to see if there is a shut off buried somewhere (anyone see A Plumbing We Will Go by the Three Stooges? That's what I'm envisioning right now as Larry tried to find the shut off).

Old 08-29-18, 05:28 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
Does the house also have a well? If not, I would imagine that you should try turning the main valve off again and I assume that you didn't allow the water to drain long enough. Gravity will cause water to come out that spigot a long time if it's one of the lowest spots on the house.

Old 08-29-18, 05:39 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
No, there's no well. I did run the hose for a bit after shutting off the water, but maybe not long enough. It did come out (using the spray trigger thing) with what appeared to be the same pressure, so it was discharging at a pretty good clip. I'll try again and see if I just need to drain it more. I did notice that this was the first spigot that connects to the main water line where it comes up from the ground in the crawlspace, if that makes a difference. Probably only about 6 feet from where the spigot goes through the wall to where it connects to the line coming up out of the ground.

Old 08-29-18, 05:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
It helps to drain the lines more quickly if you open up a few more faucets (sinks, tubs) to let air into the line.

Old 08-30-18, 10:23 PM
Received 54 Upvotes on 47 Posts
There “should” be a valve between that hose bibb and the street, but if you can’t find it, you ought to be able to shut off the water at the house’s water meter... if you can find it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: