Drippy Outdoor Tap

Old 09-22-18, 06:16 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Drippy Outdoor Tap

We have a drippy rap on the side of the house. There are two taps on the outside (front and side). Side one is drippy and appears to be getting worse. We found the shutoff inside the basement ceiling. We turn off the shutoff but the the tap is still leaky. I am thinking that the the shutoff has a defect??! But the side tap also need a part repair. Not sure. Gotta fix before its gets to cold

Old 09-22-18, 06:26 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
It seems both inside isolation valves need repair and maybe the outside sill cocks need repair also. The repairs are easy depending on your level of skill and confidence. Most likely the washers are bad on both valves. You can either replace washers or replace valves with a ball valve, You can also replace sill cocks with frost free valves.

Let us know your still level and confidence level and we can direct you further.

Old 09-24-18, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the advice. I am confident that I can repair this myself with right tools. I am still learning basic plumbing so when an expert says its an easy fix, I believe I can in order to build skills. I am still not clear on how to troubleshoot the problem.
You mentioned that both inside valves need repair . I am only aware of the shut off valve for the side of the house tap (the one in ceiling of the basement), unless you are talking about the main (the one that controls all the water in the house) shut off as well.
You mentioned that I should change washers. Do you mean outside tap washer, and inside shutoff washer?
I am just curious as to why when the shutoff (the one inside in the ceiling of the basement) is turned off, the outside (side of the house) tap is still dripping? So I guess you are saying the washer on the shutoff need changing, and the washer on the outside tap needs changing. This would mean that I would have to shut off the main valve ( the only that shuts off the water supply from the entire house), before I attempt to change the washer on the shutoff ( the controls the outside tap)

Old 09-24-18, 08:35 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
You have 2 repairs, the inside shutoff valve appears to be leaking, what type of valve is that? Maybe it can be repaired, maybe it will be easier to replace.

Outside faucets, what type are they, might be able to repair, might be easier to replace!

Need to see what you have currently for next steps!

Old 09-24-18, 09:19 AM
As Marq suggested we need to know a bit more about your situation. Can you send pics of both inside and out side valves.

And yes most likely you will need to shut off the main to do the repairs. But once the inside "isolation" valves are fixed or replaced the main can be turned back on and you can continue to fix the outside valves.

Old 09-24-18, 09:28 AM
I will take pictures and send and in the meantime I can also consult plumbing at HD or Lowes, they may also have ideas with pictues and the story. Thanks so much.

Old 09-24-18, 04:36 PM
also consult plumbing at HD or Lowes
Not always the best idea, I find their "advice" to be questionable most of the times!

Old 09-24-18, 04:57 PM
See the attachments as the part needing repair.

Attached Images  
Old 09-24-18, 06:22 PM
OK typical valve needing a new washer. I'd rather replace the valve. Are you willing try soldering?

Old 09-25-18, 10:08 AM
Sorry about the big nasty looking pic, I was not able to attach as jpeg. I am not will to solder. I will replace.

Old 09-25-18, 11:31 AM
looks like an old gate valve, prone to leaking.

To replace you will have to cut out and solder in a new valve, prefer a ball valve.

You might be able to take a part and repack but personally I just cut them out since they are problematic!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: