Is it ABS?

Old 10-15-18, 12:57 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 503
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is it ABS?


The intake from my lake to to the my irrigation pump is a very thin walled black pipe.

Its the type that would deform if you stepped on it. Or it would bend and form a crease if you folded it in half. I think I see it coiled up in large rolls near construction sites.

Is this type of pipe abs?
Old 10-15-18, 03:45 PM
Norm201's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 10,966
Received 726 Upvotes on 642 Posts
No! ABS is a rigid pipe meant for drain, waste and vent. What you have is a corrugated flex hose. Don't know what the material is. Could be a type of ABS, but not the type meant for plumbing.
Old 10-15-18, 03:45 PM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 27,789
Received 2,185 Upvotes on 1,955 Posts
It's probably polyethylene. It's sold in long coils and with varying wall thicknesses and is usually black. It usually uses barbed fittings with hose clamps to attach it to other types of piping.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: