Underground water line

Old 12-11-18, 09:42 PM
S
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Underground water line

I知 running a water line from our house to our barn I知 connecting it from the main line before the house ( between the well and the house ) I知 putting a hydrant at the barn at the end of of the line I知 installing I was told I値l have to install another pressure tank there to keep pressure does sound right? The hydrant will be outside and the barn isn稚 heated so is this going to be a problem for the tank

Old 12-11-18, 09:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,573 Likes on 1,411 Posts
I'm no well expert, but I would assume that IF you do need a pressure tank, it would need to be deep underground, just like your well and pressure tank are... so as long as the lid was covered with hay bales or something there would be no danger of it freezing underground. That being said, I can't see how one additional hydrant would drop your pressure to the house that significantly to warrant a second pressure tank. Unless this hydrant is supplying a fire hose. lol

It probably depends on the size of your current pressure tank, how much water you intend to use at the hydrant and the recovery rate of your well. The second tank would give you more storage, and will mean less cycling of your well. That's a good thing if you will be using a lot of water.

Old 12-12-18, 09:02 PM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 339 Likes on 305 Posts
It gets complicated when you connect something between the well and the pressure tank/switch/check valve.

You can't just tap into that line, because there's only water flowing in it when the pump is on. All the pressure is built up in the pressure tank, which is behind a check valve. So basically, that hydrant will only get water IF someone happens to be showering or using water in the house. Probably not what you want!

You have two options:

1) Run the piping from the house AFTER the pressure tank, out to the barn. Then it's just like any other fixture in your house.

2) Create a second setup in the barn including pressure tank, pressure switch, check valve. Then wire it back to the well, in parallel with the house pressure switch, so that the well turns on when either pressure tank drops pressure. The pressure tank and such needs to be in a heated area so it doesn't freeze.

Option 1 is technically the easiest, though may require more piping. Option 2, I would double-check with a well person before doing it. There may be some downsides to it as well.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: