Blue plastic seal under clean out port


Old 12-25-18, 06:29 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SC
Posts: 65
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Blue plastic seal under clean out port

I want to snake my drain lines in my crawl space. After removing 3 different clean out plugs I found a blue plastic disc that is blocking my access to insert the snake. What is the purpose of this blue disc and how should I remove it? Is it ok to just pry it out with a screwdriver?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-18, 06:41 AM
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 4,815
Received 77 Votes on 72 Posts
Hard to know from here what it is without a picture.
Old 12-25-18, 07:37 AM
Norm201's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 9,033
Received 234 Votes on 209 Posts
It's clean out plug. Not unusual. From a Google search for the same.

"Beneath their drain covers is a plastic or metal cap, also known as a cleanout plug, as well as a standard drainage pipe. That cap stops waste water from flowing into the cleanout, forcing it to pass directly into the sewage pipe. They also help to keep noxious fumes and dangerous sewer gasses from leaking out and help to keep pests and debris from finding their way back down."

for the full explanation see:
Old 12-25-18, 09:18 AM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 23,774
Received 636 Votes on 588 Posts
When you remove the test plugs/caps make sure you don't loose the plastic in the drain pipe. Sometimes I'll run a long deck screw into the center so I can get a hold on it. If it's a vertical pipe I'll also tie a string on the screw so the plug doesn't go down the pipe and cause a clog.
Old 12-26-18, 04:04 AM
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Ct.,USA
Posts: 1,783
Received 88 Votes on 77 Posts
Can someone suggest a website that shows this plastic plug and a video of how to install? My searches only find the end caps.
Old 12-26-18, 04:56 AM
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 23,774
Received 636 Votes on 588 Posts
There are several different types of caps. I think the OP has a knock out test plug. They can be put inside a pipe and other fittings glued over top. Most are end caps but are sized so other fittings will go over them.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: