Replace old shower arm that got stuck in wall

Old 12-29-18, 07:49 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Replace old shower arm that got stuck in wall

Hello,
I am replacing old shower arm. It broke in wall while I was rotating it. Please help!! I don't know how to upload photo here...

Thank you!!

Old 12-29-18, 10:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Is there any part of the pipe still visible ? If no..... you may need to open the wall.
How-to-insert-pictures

There will be a drop ear fitting fastened in the wall where the chrome tube threads in.
Name:  drop ear.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  10.1 KB

Old 12-29-18, 11:03 PM
T
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
I once got lucky tapping in a wood chisel that was slightly larger than the inside threads.
I have heard a #10 tapered file file tapped in may give enough bite to remove it.

Old 12-29-18, 11:10 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If the shower arm broke, it's probably plastic (I've never seen a brass one break). Go to an auto parts store and buy a 1/2" easy-out.

Old 12-29-18, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
The file trick has worked for many folks. You just tap in a small old file and try to turn it with a crescent wrench. Spraying with vinegar (to help loosen mineral deposits) or Liquid Wrench type sprays (for rusty connections) before hand can also help. Last resort is heat...be careful, you don't want a fire in the wall.

Old 12-30-18, 05:09 AM
T
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Steve_gro - its the chrome plated brass one that breaks - maybe the water mineral builds up at the tip of the pipe.. just a theory. Might want to squirt some PB Blaster in it.
I have read about the easy out - the problem is it may bottom out and some people cut the tip off so it inserts tight enough.

Old 12-30-18, 05:58 AM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you so much all. This is my first post. You all are so kind:-) . I had tried 10" flat file before posting here. Didn't work. Then used vinegar , PB blaster, sitting there almost 7 hrs now. Will try it again.It's a steel shower arm.

Name:  sa1.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  47.0 KB

Name:  sa2.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  81.1 KB

Name:  sa3.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  111.2 KB

Name:  sa4.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  127.2 KB

Last edited by PJmax; 12-31-18 at 09:56 PM. Reason: added member supplied pics
Old 12-31-18, 10:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
I don't think that's a steel arm. It's probably chrome plated brass. Sort of on the soft side.

I was doodling on the last super closeup I made. You need to find something that can go pretty far into the broken pipe and just grab the sides. It must actually go into the pipe. The pipe is tapered and gets slightly smaller towards the back so that's where you want it to grab. Sometimes you can find a chisel that will slide in half way and then grab. Sometimes a file is the right size.

As a last resort and this must be done carefully. You use a hacksaw blade to cut thru the inside of the pipe. You don't want to cut all the way thru to the fitting..... just shy of it. The goal is to cut the pipe without damaging the fitting threads. You can then peel the pipe out of the fitting.

The new arm will be installed with teflon tape and plumbers compound. The combination will fill in the buggered threads.

Old 01-01-19, 02:00 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Not very DYI, but as a contractor, I usually have no issues with opening up a wall and replacing that section of pipe and then resealing up the wall. Probably a lack of pipe thread compound that caused the pipe to seize, it snapped under pressure to release. Nothing you did wrong, but an error on the person before you that installed it. I've removed hundreds of old shower arms, never had one break off.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: