connecting P Trap to sink

Old 01-23-19, 08:02 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
connecting P Trap to sink

I am having trouble connecting the sink drain pipe to the pipe on the wall. This is what I currently have.... see image1. It appears that the old washer has been soldered onto the metal pipe, thus a new washer could not go on there. Does this mean I have to cut the metal pipe in order for a new washer to get on there?

Also, another concern I have is that after tighten everything as shown in image2, I could literally pull down and the P Trap would slip out.... is this normal?

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-19, 09:44 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 632 Votes on 584 Posts
I would get rid of the piece coming out of the wall. Look behind the escutcheon ring. You should see a nut at the wall. Remove that nut and the drain pipe should come out. Then you can install a new plastic piece to match the new white plastic you show in your picture.

The milky/clear plastic washer shown in your second picture is upside down. You want the tapered edge to wedge into the pipe when the nut is tightened. This will more firmly attach the pipe and prevent leaks. You will also use one of these washers when you install the new pipe into the wall. The tapered edge will face into the wall and the nut will push against the square end of the washer.

Old 01-24-19, 12:00 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
It appears that the old washer has been soldered onto the metal pipe
Can you post an image with the escutcheon pulled down so we can see now it's connected? If it's soldered, then there's a solder ring that has to be removed and replaced with a trap adapter.