Cold water line to house vibrating

Old 03-16-19, 10:31 AM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cold water line to house vibrating

This may get a little long, but I will try and give you all the info that I have currently.

At the beginning of February I had a new furnace and water heater installed. Both systems were 20 years old. Plus the heat pump died and the blower for my furnace was going. The connections for the heat pump were reran through the attic instead of underground. The new water heater they installed had an expansion tank. The PSI for the tank was set to 65 i believe. I have checked the PSI for my house and it was 70-75.

About four weeks ago when I got home from work I noticed that the pipes in the wall of my mechanical room were vibrating. I shut the water main off and the vibration stopped right away. When I would open the main even the smallest amount the vibration would start again. This wen on for about a day and a half. Then it was quiet for about three days. Then the vibration started about 10:00 a.m. and then stopped about 4:00 p.m. Since then I have noticed that the pipe vibrates normally during the day between the hours of 10:00 a.m and 6:00 p.m. Very rarely do they vibrate outside these hours.

During this time I was checking my water usage over the course of 30 min to 3 hours and 0.00 gal of water was being used.

I have tried the fix for the water hammer and the issue was not resolved. I have tried to install water hammer arrestors and the issue continues. I called the company that installed my water heater about the issue. We removed the water heater from the system and then turned the water main back on and the pipes started to vibrate instantly. We reconneced the water heater to the system and then checked my water usage. About 1 gallon of water was being used over the course of 2 hours. We also noticed when my pipes were vibrating my neighbors water usage was going up about 1 gal every 1.5 min. The plumber thought the issue was a leak somewhere in my house.

I called the city about the issue what I was having and they stated that it sounded like there was air in the pipes. They sent someone out to check the city pipes and they stated there was no water in the pipes and the issue was local to my house since no other resident had reported any issues.

Yesterday I had a leak detection company come out to check my house for possible leaks. They didn't find any leaks in the pipes in my house. They seemed to think that the issue could be caused my my furnace causing vibration in the pipes that could cause the vibration. Since the pipes are no longer running underground that doesn't seem like the cause. I asked the plumber yesterday about my neighbors water usage and they didn't think it had anything to do with my issue.

I am at a loss from where to go next. The vibration was not present for the last 24+ hours, but started again a few hours ago. The vibration is completely random in my house. It will just start then stop. Sometimes it will last only a few min and other is will last hours. I have never noticed the issue start when I use water. Sometimes it will be a vibration other is will be a sound like a helicopter.

Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated. I am not sure if I have a PRV in my house. If i have one it us underground or it is in the city pipe with the water meter. The house is only 20 years old.

Thanks for your time,

Old 03-18-19, 09:59 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 433 Upvotes on 385 Posts
I've found vibrations are usually caused by a deteriorating or loose washer in a valve somewhere in the system. Toilets are often culprits, but it could just as easy be the main house valve or something that was turned off/on during the installation.

When you hear the vibrations next, I would try closing one valve at a time halfway. If it's a loose washer, you should hear a change immediately - before the water is actually shut off.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: