Basement shower and washing machine drain issue

Old 03-16-19, 12:45 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Basement shower and washing machine drain issue

Hello,

I have a basement shower drain and washer drain that are connected (I think) and when I use the washer eventually both drains will smell of a swege smell. Then the smell for go away eventually when I'm done using the washer. If I was to clean them a bit with baking soda and vinegar then cover them would the covering them cause any kind of issue? Mold, water flow, air flow, anything? The shower one would be completely covered and not used and the washer one will be covered but still contain drain pipe.

Any help would be great

Old 03-16-19, 01:31 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Sounds like you need to snake out the drain lines. Washing machines put a lot of water in drain and any blockage will show up when washer run. I would not put anything in drain.

Old 03-16-19, 02:13 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I dont see any issue with draining from the washing machine to the shower which is about 15 feet away and the shower drain doesnt flood. Is that why I would need to snake the drain due to a clogged flooding drain?

Old 03-16-19, 02:45 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
If you did not have this problem in the past then something has recently changed. A clogged drain is something that can cause the problems you describe and the clog could have formed recently so... it's a possibility. Another possibility is your plumbing vent may be clogged especially since so many people leave out the vents when retrofitting basement bathrooms.

Also, putting vinegar and baking soda down the drain is a waste of money. When you combine the two together you neutralize their cleaning power so all your doing is wasting good vinegar and good baking soda.

Old 03-16-19, 02:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
A clog would reduce the amount of room in the pipe which reduces the amount of air available above the water... in effect, creating a 2nd trap. This can siphon the water out of your shower trap as it tries to drain and pull air from anywhere it can.

Of course if it was plumbed incorrectly, all bets are off.

Old 03-18-19, 10:03 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 422 Upvotes on 375 Posts
I have a basement shower drain and washer drain that are connected
How old is the house and when were these installed? (recently or when the house was built)

Often times contractors (or DIYers) skip the venting process for basement plumbing because it's hard to vent up through the 1st/2nd floors and up through the roof. It can result in the traps being sucked dry, and allowing sewer gas to escape.

Depending on how finished the basement is, it's sometimes hard to figure out if it's properly vented or not. But you might be able to trace some pipes in open walls if there are any.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: