Frost Free Sillcock or Traditional Water Spigot

Old 05-07-19, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Frost Free Sillcock or Traditional Water Spigot

Four years ago I had a traditional 25+ year old water spigot replaced with a Nibco Frost Free Sillcock. Two years ago it started spurting out water from a little hole in the stem, even if the water was off. Turns out the whole thing need to be replaced because Nibco discontinued that model. On top of that, the basement was refinished since it was installed and now that part of the pipe is not accessible. Fortunately, the feed/shut off pipe are very accessible. So I plan to re-route the faucet right from the shut off, up and out. Now I'm just wondering is it worth getting another frost free sillcock or just go back to the traditional? How often do these frost free ones fail?

Top Answer

05-07-19, 03:10 PM
Pilot Dane
Group Moderator
Received 2,154 Upvotes on 1,929 Posts
You did not complete your profile so we have no idea where you are located. If in the deep south a frost proof sillcock isn't needed. If you are in an area that gets freezing temperatures then it's a good idea. Both will be damaged if you leave a hose connected during freezing temperatures.

Old 05-07-19, 03:06 PM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
Barring physical damage, I have not heard of that happening, and if it were physical damage the same could happen to the line feeding it. Given the odds that it's going to get cold every winter, I'd stick with a frost free.

Mixdplate voted this post useful.
Old 05-07-19, 03:10 PM
P
Group Moderator
You did not complete your profile so we have no idea where you are located. If in the deep south a frost proof sillcock isn't needed. If you are in an area that gets freezing temperatures then it's a good idea. Both will be damaged if you leave a hose connected during freezing temperatures.

CasualJoe, Mixdplate voted this post useful.
Old 05-07-19, 03:27 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pilot Dane - I'm in NJ. Yeah...it gets cold here. Do not know why my location doesn't show. Checked my profile details, it's there.

Old 05-07-19, 03:39 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
If it's any difference I have had nothing but Woodford faucets for probably 40 years and just this spring replaced my first ever washer(s) in the one faucet that gets abut 85% of total use!

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 05-08-19, 04:48 AM
P
Group Moderator
I also love Woodford spigots. In addition to their quality they flow much more water than ones I've tried from the big box home centers.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: