Air intake (vent) of grease trap

Old 06-28-19, 09:36 PM
L
Received 83 Votes on 72 Posts
Air intake (vent) of grease trap

My cousin is trying to open a ice cream shop and all the work was done without permits.
I went to check what the contractors have done and found they installed grease trap and this grease trap has air intake for flow control valve just before the drain enters grease trap.
This air intake is just a open pipe in the air. I find this bit odd.
Although the grease trap will be full of water, wouldn't this still cause some sewer smell to escape?

The instruction isn't very clear about the air intake.
One of the diagram does show this air intake connected to drain vent, but the contractor claims it is allowed and done correctly and sewer smell will never escape.
http://s3.supplyhouse.com/product_fi...03-Install.pdf

Is this true?

If so, there will be no point in installing traps under the sink. Wouldn't it?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-19, 09:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,175 Votes on 1,089 Posts
Interesting.

I'm not a plumber but I just did a job at a YMCA. They were installing a kitchen for baking classes. I didn't expect there to be a grease trap in this small kitchen but there was. It was vented with two connections to the vent line. Not sure why two but I'm pretty sure it needs to be tied into a rooftop vent line.

Old 06-29-19, 09:57 AM
Received 92 Votes on 82 Posts
I've seen a lot of grease traps over the years, but don't believe I have ever seen one vented like that. If each fixture is properly vented, why would the grease trap need to be vented?

Old 06-29-19, 05:55 PM
L
why would the grease trap need to be vented?
This grease trap uses flow control valve, which requires intake air to work properly. Which is why there is a tee. The flow control valve basically just a restrictor and I believe intake air is to keep siphon from happening in the flow control valve.
I believe this is called flow based grease trap.

I cannot seem to be able to find an answer as to if this is allowed or not. I'm pretty sure there will be no sewer gas from the main sewer line, but that doesn't mean there will not be smell.
Only sure way to find out would be calling a inspector, but that will be opening a big can of worms in this place.

Old 06-29-19, 06:22 PM
Received 254 Votes on 228 Posts
to open a ice cream shop and all the work was done without permits.
A side from your question, what makes him think he can escape an inspection from the health department and not be fined for not getting permits? That can of worms will be opened and the sooner the better. When and not if he gets caught he will most likely be made to tear out everything and get licensed plumbers.

Old 06-29-19, 06:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 714 Votes on 661 Posts
Also, ice cream = your state dairy and food inspector will likely need to be involved every step of the way.

Old 06-29-19, 08:56 PM
L
There is a deli restaurant next door and my cousin will be taking that place over in a year or so.
Therefore, this ice cream shop is being constructed as part of that restaurant.
The owner of the building and the current owner of the restaurant are the ones how convinced my cousin to go without pulling permits. The owner says there never was any inspection in 20 years she owned the place.
I told my cousin that is not a good idea, she went as far as hiring an architect to go properly. Yet a general contractor she hired also agreed to no permits necessary and went as far as saying they will take care of any inspection issues the there is problem with the inspector. I doubt that will happen seeing how they left this place.

They only installed 2 duplex GFCI in 2 gang box over the counter at 1 location only. I argued with the contractor regarding this and the response was that those receptacles are enough to handle all the necessary load. But, it is not just about the load. You cannot have everything in a single location. LOL
They didn't even install any data/phone line where POS will be installed and claims a receptacle they installed is a data LOL.

Also, they put MC cable in regular nail-on blue junction box with a hole drilled.
They claim this work was done by a licensed electrician.
They shop was set to open on Monday, but the electrician who did this work is on vacation for a week LOL.

Old 06-30-19, 05:35 AM
Received 254 Votes on 228 Posts
as far as saying they will take care of any inspection issues the there is problem with the inspector.
Sounds like pay-off and crooked politics. Sooner or later this will be exposed.

Old 06-30-19, 09:24 AM
Received 92 Votes on 82 Posts
Sounds like pay-off and crooked politics. Sooner or later this will be exposed.

Maybe, but also could be a rural area with few if any inspections or codes. I've seen areas like this before where the city dog catcher was also the building inspector. What I recall seeing was an inspector who flushed the toilet, if the water went down the plumbing passed. If the lights came on when the switch was turned on, the electric passed. Also remember seeing in a commercial office building blue plastic nail-on boxes floating in concrete for floor receptacles connected with UF cable in PVC conduit under the concrete, but the conduit didn't enter the boxes. Yes, the plumber and electrician were both licensed, they bought their business licenses at City Hall for $25.

Old 06-30-19, 02:46 PM
L
could be a rural area with few if any inspections or codes.
This I think is exactly the case.
The shop is in the rural area in the middle of the town. The county itself is fairly big and enforces code, but the town has its own departments run by city hall.