Cost to repair leak in water main

Old 07-16-19, 04:04 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cost to repair leak in water main

Hey yall,

I live near Atlanta, GA. What would yall expect is the cost to fix a leak in my water main (the pipe running from the water meter into my house)?

One plumber quoted me $695 minimum. What about to replace the whole water main? It is about 50 yards long to the street.

Thanks yall!

Old 07-16-19, 04:23 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 867 Votes on 798 Posts
The only way to tell is to get quotes from several contractors in your area.

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 07-18-19, 10:03 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 189 Votes on 169 Posts
Sounds like a reasonable starting price for a leak... the hardest part is usually digging down and finding the actual leak. Just because it's bubbling up out of the ground at point A, doesn't mean the leak isn't 15' away one direction or the other.

I had an obvious leak, they dug down 6', found the pipe, but couldn't find the leak. Called me out to show me that the leak is obviously somewhere "that direction", but they'll have to get a backhoe in. LUCKILY, as they were showing me, a chunk of dirt fell out and sure enough, there was the leak! Definitely saved some money in that moment.

50 yards is a lot of digging, though I'd imagine the burial depth is only around 18" in Atlanta. There are contractors that do trenchless replacements, either with a directional drilling rig, or by pulling through the old pipe. It's a bit more expensive, but you save money on having to redo plantings, sidewalks, driveway, etc.

Definitely get another estimate and you'll see if it's a good price in your area.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: