Diverted kitchen sink to main line

Old 07-29-19, 03:43 AM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Diverted kitchen sink to main line

So, my kitchen sink drain went out to a catch basin I'm assuming but from the foundation where the pipe went into water was coming back through a very small hole near the pipe entrance. Instead of spending money on finding out I just cut the pipe and diverted my kitchen sink to the main line. On inspecting the catch basin it was completely filled with white paste sludge. Which I'm assuming is grease. My question is if diverting the kitchen sink to the main line was a good idea. Or should I clean the basin and dig out my foundation to find out why water is coming back through that tiny hole? And should I divert the kitchen sink back to catch basin

Old 07-29-19, 04:36 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
NEVER put any grease down the drain.

Are you on a septic system or municipal sewer?

Did you properly vent your connection to the main sewer?

Old 07-29-19, 05:26 AM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Okay yeah i never put Grease down the drain. And im not sure about the venting. How does that work and what is that for? I had a plumber come by and he found a pipe in the basement that went to the main line and said it would be cheaper to just connect the kitchen to that line. We stuck a hose down the pipe and checked to see if it was usable and it was. I'm not sure if he vented it as you say. And I'm on a municipal sewer with a catch basin in my back yard

Last edited by extremejn01; 07-29-19 at 06:09 AM.
Old 07-29-19, 06:57 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
I would guess the house is pretty old and at one time had a septic tank. I have seen a few rural homes that had all grey water drain to catch basins away from the house to keep from overloading the septic tank. Rerouting the sink drain to city sewer is the option I would go with too. Normal dishwater will contain a small amount of grease.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: