squeak when water stops running

Old 09-18-19, 09:40 AM
T
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
squeak when water stops running

Have a 3-floor townhouse and most every time a faucet, or toilet, or dishwasher shuts off, I hear a brief, high-pitched, squeak. Any solutions someone can suggest? Do I need a plumber? I have a pressure regulator already.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-19, 10:08 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 112 Votes on 104 Posts
Odd issues like this usually are the result of either:

1) Too-high water pressure. Your PRV might not be working correctly or could be set incorrectly and be allowing the pressure to rise too high. You'll need to connect a pressure gauge to a faucet and make sure that you're no higher than 60-70psi.

2) A loose or worn washer in a valve somewhere. I didn't believe a little rubber washer could cause so much noise until I heard one for myself. Either the washer vibrates or causes some turbulence in the water which makes rather loud groans, squeals, or vibrations. The hard part is finding the valve with the loose washer - could be a main valve, as washer in the PRV, or even a under-sink or under-toilet shutoff.

I'd probably start with #1 and testing the pressure. A $10 pressure gauge will tell you quickly if that's an issue or not.

Old 09-18-19, 04:34 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 622 Votes on 575 Posts
Where do you hear the squeak?

I have heard loose pipes in the wall squeak or bump when water is quickly turned off.